Chapter 50

I wanted to start off with an author's note.

This is the 50th chapter of Ink and I am very thankful that we have made it this far! I started this story when I was 14 and now, 4 years later so much has changed about me, but this book is still something that I love writing.

Also, thank you all for 70k reads! That's so awesome and I'm stoked for the future and for even more people to read this story.

I'm curious as to how many of you have been reading since the beginning?

I'm in the works of writing other stories! So you will be able to read those too!

Overall, thanks for tuning in guys. I love you all.

~~~

"Leona." I greet the woman before with a smile. She looks up at me with the ghost of a happy expression. I can tell by her face that she is tired. Most likely from the events that had occurred recently.

"Alliana Nixon. Long time no see."

I laugh at her words. "Indeed I wish we could have met again under better circumstances."

"Oh but what is life without a little drama?" Another voice enters the room and Leona and I both turn our heads to face it's owner.

Mr. Burke leans against a shelving unit. His beaten figure appears to be in better shape than before.

Before I can stop myself, I'm running up to him and wrapping my arms around his neck, careful not to grip too tight.

"Oh Alliana." He begins and wraps his arms around me as well. "It's good to see you alive and well."

"You too." I step back and look at his face. It seems as though he's aged a few more years since the last time I saw him.

"It seems we've found ourselves in quite the predicament, haven't we?" Mr. Burke states.

"Indeed it would seem so." Leona nods. "But soon everything will be fine. We will have a cure to fix this mess."

I exhale. This news was the best that I've heard in a while. But there is still one thing plaguing my mind. As if sensing my internal turmoil, Mr. Burke places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes assuringly.

"He is a strong man, Alliana. He can hold his own against that beast."

I nod, although the worry does not entirely go away.

"Indeed his is very strong." Leona agrees. "I've never seen bravery like that from Klaus before. When we were children, he was always very reserved and kept to himself. I myself had always thought of him to be quite arrogant, but now, something has inspired him to change for the better."

A small smile settles on my face. From beside me, I can feel the gaze of Mr. Burke. He always had habit of looking like he knew things well beyond the capacity of everyone else.

After a few more minutes of catching up, Leona goes to find a microscope, and Mr. Burke is summoned for medical treatment, leaving me to stand alone in the lab with my thoughts.

Well, I suppose it was only one thought that I had.

Would I ever see Klaus again?

As if on queue, an alarm begins to go off accompanied by flashing lights all around me.

Code: Red in progress. Please report to your designated safe room.

I see a few guards run past the door and hurry after them.