Chapter 35

Mephistor's POV
~
Alone at last, Mephistor stands on his balcony that reveals an overview of Illinkus.

The surface is covered in greenery and well crafted architecture as far as the eye can see. He can't help but think of how especially beautiful it looks at night.

His kingdom. The one that the people trusted him to protect and serve as a leader.

His head drops when the truth of the situation sets in.

This is the first time in a while that the beast has been silent and he feels like he can finally breathe.

What have I done?

The thought crosses his mind. Sudden violent memories flood through. He closes his eyes tightly and squeezes the rail until his knuckles turn white.

I am a monster.

Mephistor tries desperately  to stop the swarm of emotions that continue to strangle his thoughts.

Screaming children and parents, blood splattered and coating him from head to toe, the beasts red eyes glowing.

Tears begin to slip down his cheeks.

"I never wanted this!" He screams to the night."I never wanted to become a monster!"

His tears become sobs."What's happening to me? I don't want to kill people! Why am I acting like this?"

They did this to you

Mephistor's crying comes to a halt.

"And you!" He seethes to the beast who has decided to make himself known. "This is all because of you!"

The beasts anger grows with his own.

They did this to you!

It yells in response. Mephistor feels the venom seeping into his skin.

"No! It was you! You killed all those people! I am done listening to you!"

The beast only growls. Moments later a loud crunch echoes against the palace walls. Mephistor looks down at the marbled railing he has just crushed with his hands.

His eyes widen in fear. He was not the one that just did that.

"What are you doing?" He asks the beast.

There is no response.

Crippling pain strikes the new King unexpectedly and causes him to fall forward. He cries out and desperately tries to hold himself up.

You will not disobey me

The cracking of bones evokes a scream from Mephistor. He falls to the floor of the balcony.

I control you

The young prince knows what is to come. He tries to hold onto his humanity for as long as possible. Attempting desperately to hold onto that image of her;the one thing that he was holding on for. But his efforts are not strong enough to match those of the power hungry beast.