Chapter 46

As the beast stares in the mirror, it does not surprise him when the man stares back.

Those red eyes glare back at him, holding a unique blend of hopelessness and untamable anger that almost make him feel—something.

He shakes his head in belief that will cause the face staring back at him to disappear.

The man fought, that was for sure, but he could not hold on for much longer. In the time from his defeat and now, though, he would fight with everything he had. For what? The beast did not know. Once he was done with the kingdom, there would be nothing for the man to come back to. Well, except maybe his queen.

Yes, it was true that he planned to mate with that woman. The one who the man's soul called out for.

Alliana

Perhaps the man's interest had been passed on to the beast. Sometimes, he could not be sure which one of them wanted her more. He supposed that did not matter in the end, however, because he would triumph in this war for self.

The man would never be as strong as him.

If only he could strip himself of that last sliver of hope in his eyes. Then he would truly be free of the one holding him back from his true potential.

Never. That pesky voice whispers in the back of his head. The word is accompanied by a wave of pain.

The beast's clawed hands grip the sides of the sink with such strength that the sound of chipping marble fill the large bathroom.

"Stop." He growls. "You cannot beat me!"

More pain consumes him. He cries out in an agonizing roar.

He meets the man in the mirror once again; eyes blazing and nostrils flared.

"I will not be controlled by you."

Never

"I see you're growing cocky in the moments leading up to your defeat, Mephistor. I will see what I can do about that."

Another wave of pain hits the beast as he leaves the room. His face is set hard with mischief and intent.

In seconds, he finds exactly what he's been looking for.

His father's chambers.

"Don't move." He says to the guards outside of the door. Their eyes glaze over as they stare straight ahead.

Never. The voice echoes through his mind again.

He grips his side in pain, holding back a cry. However, instead of fueling his anger, he laughs.

"You'll soon find our what happens when you disobey me." The beast whispers.

The man begins to panic within him. He feels the anxiety rising up his spine, but shakes it off.

He raises his hand to knock on the door.

"Come in."

The same sadistic smirk appears on his face before he pushes the door open. His father sits behind his large desk.

"Father." He attempts to control the growl in his voice.

"Mephistor, my son, what brings you here at this hour?"

No! Father

"I thought we could discuss the meeting in Illion."

"Of course. Please have a seat."

The beast sits in a chair in front of the desk.

His father's eyes, as blue as his used to be, meet his own slowly. There is something in his gaze that the beast sees and does not like. They are too damaged and true to look directly in to. It causes the beast to flinch back.