Chapter 20

As I exited the car and walked up to the entrance of the remote cabin I couldn't help the uneasy feeling that came over me.

What if Mephistor found us?

What is he brought me back and forced me to be his queen?

I forcibly push those thoughts from my mind and instead attempt to focus on my current situation.

"I am safe." I say barley above a whisper."At least for now."

The man had been inside for a few minutes and I could hear him settle down and breath a little easier. Klaus was slowly emerging from the passenger side of the car and following behind me. I could tell that he was confused and I wished that I had the right words to say to put him at ease. I suppose he was down on himself for nearly killing the man. I heard him mumbling things to himself as his feet dragged on the ground. Some words were filled with confusion for his actions, and others were anger about the terrible condition of his attire.

I rolled my eyes.

I supposed I had no right to mock him, however. My nose wrinkled at my own smell. My dress was sweaty and had blood stains from the mans uniform. I was in desperate need of a shower.

A few moments go by and I start to smell the smoke from a fire.

I pass the threshold and enter the living space of the cabin. It's warm inside and I can immediately feel my muscles relaxing.

"I got the fire working." The man says from a squatted position in front of the fireplace. He stands and makes his way over to me, outstretching a dirt stained hand. "I'm Caleb." I accept it.

"I'm Alliana."

"Alliana" He says, trying my name out."Cool name."

"Thank you." I can't help but let out a laugh at the normality of our current conversation. Caleb looks slightly confused before letting out a laugh of his own.

"This is so weird." He says as he catches his breath."No offense, but I was always taught that vamps were insensitive dîcks, but, you are by no means a dîck-"His eyes widen in realization."I mean you are a girl so I guess you can't be a-oh god I screwed that up, let me start again-"

His reaction causes me to laugh again.

"It's okay, Caleb. I get what you're trying to say."

"Sometimes the words just don't come out right." He says while shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Well, isn't this quaint?" Says Klaus as he enters the house. His tone is less than amused and he scampers by the two of us. "I wonder where we are?"

"Far away from the castle." I say.

Klaus chuckles."Alliana, I doubt there is any distance that could be far enough away from the castle right now."

He did have a point.

"Well" Caleb begins from beside me."I hope it's far away enough for now. I mean, no offense, but one violent vampire is a handful" He says scratching his head awkwardly."I don't think I'll be able to handle an equally-if not more violent vampire king."

"Agreed." I say. "No offense, Klaus."

"None taken, Alliana." Klaus says, his green eyes meeting mine with a softness.

"Hey! What about me?" Caleb asks.

Klaus turns to him with a blank expression.

"Like I said, none taken, Alliana." Caleb's jaw drops.

"Klaus" I say in warning.

"Relax, I'm only teasing the boy."

"I'm pretty sure we're the same age" Begins Caleb."I mean, what are you? Twenty five."

Klaus laughs. "Try three hundred and seventy four."

Caleb looks over at me."Is he for real?"

I shrug my shoulders."I think so."

"While you two ponder I am going to go find a shower." Klaus dismisses himself from the room.

"Geez, he's so uptight." Caleb says after Klaus leaves the room, thinking that he can no longer hear him. I, however, know that is not the case, but choose to entertain him anyway.

"Yeah, he's got this giant stick up his ass sometimes."

"Sometimes?"

"He's not always this, well, Klausy-" I cringe as the word leaves my mouth."I apologize, that was not what I meant-"

"Klausy?" Caleb smiles."I like it."

As I settle down on the couch Caleb takes a seat next to me and a few moments go by before he clears his throat.

"So-"He begins."Are you and Klaus a thing?"

~

I apologize for the extremely long wait(as well as the short chapter)! I am finally back in the swing of things and will try to update at least once a week.