3 | Something Isn't Right

Start from the beginning

"Oh... damnit," she cursed. "I can't believe her... I didn't think she was actually going to do it."

"You mean you didn't know?" 

"Not for sure. She had mentioned something about needing a break, but I thought it would pass. If I'm being honest, Rachel, I haven't seen her in a week."

"What? How is that possible?" Even with Katherine's work schedule, they hardly went a day without at least crossing paths.

"She's been staying with this girl she works with at Sephora... Madison something or other. I don't like it, Rachel. Not at all."

"Why not?" I asked, a cold dread washing over me.

"She's just different, Rachel. In the past six months, she's changed... and I..." her voice trailed off, and she suddenly changed her tone. "I have to go. Talk soon," she said, and before I could say anything, she hung up.

I narrowed my eyes as I slowly took my phone from my ear.

Something was going on, and you could bet that this weekend, I was going to figure out what it was.

Miles

When Luke and I came through the front door, we were pleased to find Rachel cooking tacos.

"Yes!" I cheered. "Taco Tuesday!"

"Did y'all get Luke registered?" she asked, stirring the meat in the skillet as I wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her cheek.

"Yep," Luke answered from behind me as he entered the kitchen.

"Great!" she said, turning around and kissing me. She was smiling, but her eyes were troubled. I started to ask her what was wrong, but as if she anticipated my question, she shook her head shortly.

"Thanks for cooking, babe," I said instead, pouring us each a drink and setting the table.

"Of course," she responded, opening the oven and pulling out the taco shells.

"God, I'm hungry," Luke said, sinking down into a chair. Then, his face fell. "Brooke loves tacos," he mused.

Rachel and I glanced at each other. "Bro, don't get yourself worked up," I said, patting him on the back.

"I know," he sighed, taking a drink of his Coke.

"Food's ready!" Rachel interrupted.

***

After dinner, Rachel drug me to the bedroom, claiming she had a headache and was ready for bed.

I shut the door behind me, pulling my shirt over my head and kicking my shorts off, pulling her to me.

"What are you doing?" she asked, observing me with amusement.

"You drug me back here with the ol' 'I have a headache' excuse. I know what that means – you just wanted me all to yourself," I growled, kissing the soft skin below her ear.

"Uh-uh-uh," she scolded, putting her hands on my chest. "I need to talk to you about something!" she said, but I felt her tense against me.

I grinned. "Can't we talk... after?"

She rolled her eyes. "You are such a perv!"

"I know," I said, tickling her and pushing her back gently onto the bed. She giggled and put her hands on my neck, and I knew I had won.

***

Afterwards, we lay in each other's arms staring at the ceiling. "What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked suddenly.

"Oh yeah," she said, snorting. "I forgot. I talked to Katherine today."

"You did? That's funny because Luke talked to Brooke."

"He did?! What did she say?"

"Nothing really. It was weird... she sounded happy. Like, really, really up. She said she wanted to apologize, but Luke shut her down," I said proudly.

"Hmmm, well, Katherine told me today that she's been staying with some girl from work, and that she's been really different for the last six months. Did Luke mention anything about that?"

I shook my head. "No. Not at all. I wonder what's going on?" I asked, looking down at her.

She shook her head. "I don't know. But I'm going to find out this weekend," she said firmly.

"Mmm," I purred into her neck. "You're so sexy when you're determined."

And just like that, she melted into me again. 

Still the One (Book 2 in the Four of Us Trilogy)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara