24 | Falling

Every long lost dream led me to where you are

And others who broke my heart

They were like northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

-Rascal Flatts, "Bless the Broken Road"

Rachel

"Ughhhh," I groaned, rolling over and smacking Miles on the chest gently. "What time is it?"

"Too early," he answered, his voice muffled into the pillow.

"We stayed up way too late last night. I'm not hungover, but damn, I feel like I didn't get any sleep at all," I muttered.

"I wonder why?" he asked playfully, lifting his head out of the pillow. "'Oh, Miles,'" he sang in a high-pitched voice, "'can we do it again?'"

I grabbed a pillow and whacked him in the head with it. "Shut up, Salazar!" 

He laughed and rolled out of bed. "Come on, let's go make something to eat."

"Make me some pancakes," I ordered. "I'll go wake up Luke."

"Yes ma'am," he responded, saluting me.

I grinned and went down to Luke's room, knocking softly before I entered. "Luke? You awake?"

No answer.

I bit my lip. Here lately I worried a little about him, with all he's been through. When he didn't answer, I panicked a little, opened the door and peeked in.

"Luke, are you all – " My eyes widened as I took in the scene before me: Jessica snuggled against Luke's chest, her red hair in a messy bun on top of her head. They were both fully clothed, sleeping peacefully.

I stifled an "aww," and shut the door back with a gentle click.

Oh yeah, he's all right, I thought to myself as I went back to the kitchen.

Miles was already mixing pancake batter when I came in the room. "Does Luke want any pancakes?" he asked without looking up.

I snorted. "Luke's got his hands full right now," I said.

He glanced up at me. "Ugh, you didn't catch him –"

I recoiled in disgust. "Ew, no! Gross! No – Jessica stayed over and they're asleep!" I squealed.

"For real? Niiiice, bro," he drawled, looking appreciatively toward Luke's bedroom.

"I'm so glad things are working out for him... he deserves some happiness!" I said, flipping the pancake over in the skillet.

"Definitely. And Jessica seems like a really great girl," he observed.

"I think she is. But there's something... I don't know... damaged about her. You know what I mean?" I asked.

"Yeah, I do... almost a little jumpy or something," he said, setting the table and giving us each two pancakes.

"I wonder what her story is," I mused.

Miles tapped my nose with his forefinger, leaving some powdered pancake mix on the end. "Me too, but I'm sure you'll find out!"

I grinned. "You bet I will."

Jessica

I stirred when I heard the door click shut. "Luke?" I whispered, disentangling myself from his arms.