14 | Heart to Heart

You're beautiful, it's true

I saw your face in a crowded place

And I don't know what to do

'Cause I'll never be with you

-James Blunt, "You're Beautiful"

Rachel

I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling, listening to Miles' breaths next to me. He had fallen asleep some time ago, but I still hadn't closed my eyes. Retelling the entire story to my parents had really taken it out of me, and all I could think about was what would happen if Brooke never woke up.

I know I yelled at Luke for even entertaining that notion, but I just can't get it out of my head now. She didn't look good, even without considering the tube going down her throat. I kept waiting for my phone to ring at any time, with news that would break my heart – again.

I looked over at the clock – 3:00 am. I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and texted Luke.

Hey, how is she?

No change.

Shit. When do you want me and Miles to come relieve you?

Whenever is fine... I've been lying in bed with her so I've dozed off a couple of times.

My heart constricted at the thought of Luke sleeping next to Brooke in her hospital bed.

Oh, Luke...

Yeah... I just wanted to be close to her. But I am really tired.

I looked over at Miles, who was sleeping so peacefully, his lips parted, chest rising easily up and down. I couldn't bear to wake him, but I knew Luke needed to go get some sleep.

Look, I'm coming now. I'll leave Miles a note and let him know where I went. You can take my car to your house.

Okay. Thanks, Rachel.

No problem. See ya soon.

I eased out of bed silently and went to my closet. I pulled out a pair of running shorts and a black FSU hoodie. I left Miles a note explaining, and slipped out of the house.

***

When I got to Brooke's room, Luke had moved out of the bed and was sitting in the loveseat, his chin tucked against his chest.

I dropped my purse in the chair by the door and stepped over to him, shaking his shoulder gently to wake him up. He stirred and looked up at me, his eyes bleary.

"Hey, Rach," he greeted me sleepily, stretching his arms above his head.

"Hey," I responded, leaning over Brooke and pressing a kiss to her forehead. It was warm – that was heartening to me. I sat down on the loveseat next to Luke, leaving a good amount of space between us. "You okay, buddy?"

He sighed and lay his head against the cushion. "As okay as I can be, I guess. I'd be better if she'd just wake up."

"I know." I looked down at my hands, wishing there were more I could say.

"Rachel, how did this happen?" he asked, turning to look at me.

"You know as much as I do. I mean, she clearly went through some major trauma, and never actually dealt with it. But I... I don't understand why she chose to deal with it like this. I guess I never will," I said, turning to face him, leaning against the arm of the loveseat.

He mirrored my movements, pulling his legs underneath him. "The world won't be the same without her, Rachel. I mean, when she broke up with me, my world wasn't the same, but she was still in it. If she's gone... the world, it loses something... something wonderful," he whispered, his shoulders shaking with sobs.

"Oh, Luke," I sighed, and I knew what I did next was probably not smart, but I couldn't just let him sit there and cry while I awkwardly watched him. I shifted onto my knees and pulled him into a hug, letting him cry on my shoulder.

After a few minutes, he sniffled and looked up at me. Then he said something I didn't expect: "Why couldn't she have been more like you?"

"I – well, she wouldn't have been her if she was like me... and you love her," I said, leaning away from him just a bit.

"I liked you too, you know," he murmured. "But then Miles swooped in, and he st – " He stopped abruptly, closing his eyes as if he couldn't believe he just said that.

"Luke – you don't really – you're just upset – " I started, but he kept talking.

"You were a far better friend to me than Brooke or anyone else was – truthfully, the only friend I had for years. I always wanted it to be you – "

I swallowed, horrified at the confession tumbling from his lips. This is bad, Rachel, I thought. Really bad.

But bad went to worse when he leaned forward and kissed me – like he had in Professor Fairchild's class, but it was different this time. My lips froze for an instant before I could find my words.

"Luke, what are you doing?" I asked, pulling away. And as soon as I did, I heard Miles' voice. My heart sank to the pit of my stomach.

"What the fuck!?"