Chapter 12: Friends

Percy

I hadn't realized how much time had passed in the Field, but it was already lunchtime on my second full day with the Avengers. After a quick trip to the kitchen with the entire team, we were loaded up with sandwiches and ready for story time. 

We had decided to gather in an informal living room instead of the conference room this time. I was slouched into a white leather sectional, shared by Steve and Bruce. Natasha and Clint (whose name is Clint, anyway?) were sharing a loveseat that matched our couch. Tony and Fury were sitting as far apart from each other without falling off their sofa. The room had a cozy feel, with light-colored plush carpets and dark wood finishes. The light fixtures emanated warm, yellow light that- combined with the sandwiches- nearly put me to sleep.  

Gods, when did I turn into Annabeth? I never would have noticed light fixtures two years ago.

Bruce cleared his throat, and I realized everyone had been staring at me for quite some time.

My face felt hot but I said, "Enjoying the view?"

Most of the guys snorted, and Natasha rolled her eyes. 

"Just tell us the rest of your story. You left off after the battle of Manhattan," Fury pressed. 

"Yeah, I did. So, the Titans were locked away or scattered, most of my friends were alive, Annabeth and I were happy, and I was ready to retire from saving the world. But it all changed when the fire nation attacked-"

"PERCY!"

"Fine, sorry. So you remember the goddess Hera? Yeah, she's a jerk." I told them all about the Giant war, including what Jason, Piper, and Leo had told me about their journey. But I choked up as I came to the final battle. 

"Wars are always hard. It is so wrong that you even had to participate, let alone lead an army," Steve said, in an attempt to comfort me. 

My shoulders were shaking, but my eyes were dry and my head was level. "No. It's OK. I--I won't get into specifics, but basically: the Seven plus the gods kicked Giant butt and Gaea faded away. But...we lost some really good friends."

"Umm, awesome story. But, immortality?" questioned Tony, earning a glare from Natasha.

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Immortality. Just like with the last war, the gods offered me a gift, any gift, for leading their army. This time the offer was extended to all of my friends as well. Due to many factors, including the fact that last time I rejected immortality, Zeus shut down Olympus, we all agreed to take it."

"So, the Seven demigods became gods?" asked Fury.

"The ones that lived."

The Avengers looked around in somber silence.  

One again it was Tony who broke the silence. "So how does it work, immortality?"