Chapter 32: The Last Day

Chapter Thirty-Two - The Last Day

The Tower of London

12 February 1542

The afternoon is bleak. Grey sky dulls everything down, winds howls and rain splatters against the window. Inside my room it is so very cold, and to think that I used to own a beautiful chamber with silk sheets and a large fire. Now, I have nothing but the draft for company.

This is my last full day on this Earth.

I was informed this morning that I am to be executed tomorrow, along with Jane Rochford. My immediate reaction was shock, it took me a while to process what I had been told. But then I remembered that this should not come as a surprise, I knew this was going to happen, but I still held a tidy shred of hope that somebody - anybody - would save me.

I also felt bad for dragging Jane into this. Perhaps I should have kept quiet and taken the blame. Jane has gone mad, she cannot possibly understand what is about to happen to us, and yet the King will not spare her. Maybe he believes she is faking her madness, maybe he does not care. Yet again, Jane organised my meetings with Culpepper...whose name I can barely say without pain in my empty heart...if anyone is guilty then she certainly is. I do not want to do this alone. I do not want to do this at all.

I am suddenly struck with a renewed sense of dread: I am so fearful about tomorrow... I close my eyes and try to take myself to a different, better place. I think back to when I rode to court years ago, I so clearly remember the tranquility of the journey, the beauty of the sky and the sense of anticipation for court life. How did I get here?

It is some hours later when I open my eyes, and the room is filled with darkness, only a few dwindling candles share any light. There's something in the darkness, I can see it moving...I strain my eyes but am too scared to move...no, not something...someone.
"Who's there?" I ask, unsure as to my sanity.
There is no reply, but the figure moves closer.
"Anne...?" I stutter, utterly in disbelief. "Anne..."
I stand in shock, but as soon as I do the figure disappears.

I sit down and sigh...what was that? Am I going mad now? Or was that the ghost of my cousin here to haunt me, having been in these exact footsteps? It is strange what fear does to the mind. Soon I will be as mad as Jane.

The night comes around, and, as I requested, the block has been delivered to my room in order that I might practice. I have heard countless stories about beheadings that have gone wrong...executors hacking away...I cannot have that happen to me.

Slowly, cautiously I kneel in front of the block. It is so dreadful that such a simple thing is being used for such ghastly means. My stomach turns as I look at it: no matter how hard they have tried to get rid of it, blood still stains the wood.

First I place my hands either side, it may help me steady myself tomorrow. The wood is dirty but smooth at least. I feel my breathing becoming shallow as my mind zones out. All I can hear are short breaths, and feel my nerves shaking. I lower my head down, inch by inch until it is almost touching. With one last dig of courage, I lay my neck on the block. It is cold, hard, damp and smells of blood...I sit bolt upright as soon as my neck touches it.
No...I cannot do this.

Since practising is proving impossible, I decide that there is nothing better to do than to try and sleep. Of course I am restless, but what else is there to do? I will not be receiving any visitors. Hours pass by, but I eventually nod off.

"Dear cousin," a voice stirs me, "if only you had been more intelligent you may not be in this position."
I sit up. "Who are you?" I whisper, my voice shaking. "What are you doing here?"
"I come back sometimes."
"Show yourself."
"Very well." My cousin Anne Boleyn emerges from the shadows. "You'd think the King would have learnt the first time."
"What...what are you...?"
"Our family doesn't seem to have much luck with marriages."
"Please...leave..."
"Another disappointment to our family." A deeper voice says, as my uncle Howard joins Anne.
"I don't understand..." my voice is just a whisper.
"You never did understand the consequences of your actions."
"And it never stopped you doing what you wanted." Culpepper joins them.
"Stop!" I shout. "Whatever you all are! Stop!"
"We are only here to express our disappointment. After everything you hoped for, everything you promised...now look where you are."
"Stop!"

I awake with a start. My skin is covered in sweat and I am shaking all over. Frantically I look around the room, lifting my candle for a clear view.
Nobody is there.
It was a nightmare, nothing more.

And yet, I am certain that it was real. The dead and the living, all haunting me for what has happened...and what is still to come. They may not really have been there except in my dreams, but their message was clear.

I cannot stop myself from shaking in fear. My stomach drops in dread as I see light beginning to seep through the window.

It is nearly the morning.

It is nearly time.

A/N:
Thank you for reading this chapter! Only one more to go now...
Please continue to vote, comment and follow if you want to, I really do appreciate the support my story has received.
Thank you,
Issy ❤️