009 >< yanchen's ending

linong felt his heart start beating against his chest. and it was beating hard. this is it. he would break the heart of his best friend just to get to his crush. he didn't want to. he didn't want to reject one and get the other, it was all unfair. but he could afford to be selfish this once as he let go of xukun's wrist to hold yanchen's hand over his heart. "my heart is beating for you." he said and internally cringed at the cheesiness of his statement. he heard yanchen choke on air at that before his laugh sounded in linong's ears. xukun had flinched away, his nose scrunched up before excusing himself to let the two be. 

linong's eyes that was flooded with guilt followed after xukun's form before he gave all his attention to yanchen.

---

walking to the cafeteria with their hands intertwined was pretty uneventful, excluding the yelling from the other trainees when they saw said hands. they were walking in a comfortable silence that none of them bothered to break. linong swung their hands back and forth with a serene smile. "hey, nongnong?" yanchen said, breaking the silence that had accompanied from the courtyard. linong hummed and looked up to meet the older's eyes. "what is it?" he asked softly, as if he raised his voice, something would shatter. yanchen stayed quiet for a moment, thinking over what he would say. 

"why did you choose me?" he asked and he panicked when he saw linong's sad eyes. "don't take it the wrong way! i love you, but why me? xukun is so much..." he trailed off and linong just sighed softly, hand letting go of yanchen's just to place them on his shoulders instead. "hey.. i told you already, remember?" he let his right hand drop down to grab yanchen's left, placing it over his heart. "my heart is beating for you." he recited and yanchen smiled, "your heart is beating for me." yanchen repeated.

---

when they entered the rowdy cafeteria, everyone quieted down and their eyes drawn to their interlaced hands. "sweet!" xingjie yelled from the back, "took you long enough yanchen!" yanchen reddened at all the attention before walking towards his friends, bringing linong with him. "i-i haven't asked him out yet!" yanchen hissed, xingjie raised his eyebrow before his mouth formed an 'O' shape. "oh right, you only ask out on a date." yanchen just nodded quickly while linong giggled. "really? why?" he asked and xingjie happily answered for him. "something about being a gentleman, i dunno the specifics." linong turned to yanchen expectantly. "i just feel like it's not proper to ask someone to be your boyfriend or girlfriend without taking them on a date." he explained and linong just smiled. "that's nice." xingjie rolled his eyes and made a gagging sound, "ew."

---

"alright everyone. today we will have a dancing competition!" their mc, justin, said excitedly, "i mean, zhengting ge will obviously win but you guys are welcome to try." all eyes turned to zhengting who ducked his head. "but! you guys are dancing in pairs! so quickly choose someone!" justin said and yanchen quickly scrambled to linong's side. the staff handed them tablets to search up inspiration for the dance or if they wanted to cover one. "let's dance hmm.." yanchen looked through youtube, finally setting on a dance he thought was easy enough to learn in 3 hours. "my i. seventeen. you've seen it right?" linong nodded. 

in the end, yanchen and linong won. not zhengting and chengcheng. because their dance was, "full of young love. so beautiful." even though the song they danced to was really sad.

---

"so i'm thinking.." yanchen whispered in zhou rui's ear, who was nodding furiously. "yes! that's  a great plan! i'm sure he will love it!" xingjie slipped (into the diamond li-) in-between them with a smirk. "what are you guys talking about?" zhou rui filled him in on the plan and he nodded. "nice. i think he'd appreciate that." yanchen lit up. "you think so?" xingjie nodded again, "i mean, anything from you will be appreciated so.." he shrugged and yanchen smiled. 

---

the next day, linong found a bouquet of sunflowers with a few gypsophilias on his desk. a note was attached to the vase the flowers stood on. it read, 

nongnong, would you like to go on a date with me?

signed, xiao hua.

linong attacked yanchen with a hug the next time they met.

_____

yanchen pegs me as a gentleman while xukun seems like the type to show off, at least to me it seems so. 

hope you enjoyed~

ly xx