F O U R T E E N

in the kingdom

"I don't know if I can do this

"I don't know if I can do this."

It was midday, the ceremony having ended only moments ago. The Sun was shining bright over the placid ocean waves. Selena, her chin resting on her knees, stared off into the distant blue sky. Next to her lounged a napping Nami. The words echoed with truth, but she was ashamed that she allowed herself to say them.

"What do you mean?" asked Finn, his feet dangling carelessly into the water. He seemed much less shaken up by the ceremony, but that was to be expected; it wasn't his life on the line, after all.

Selena swallowed, her throat suddenly dry. "The Queentide. They were so powerful, Finn. Cressida summoned a pack of wolves out of nowhere, and she somehow managed to grow the tallest rose bushes ever seen. And Nova, she could burn down our entire House without even blinking. She took away the water just like that," the words accompanied with a snap of her thin fingers.

"And Callisto?" Finn prompted her gently.

Selena shook her head, an icy fear spreading through her bones. "She's dangerous. I think she hates me."

"Why would she hate you?" Finn asked, his tone bewildered.

Selena glanced at him and found that he was smiling at her while shaking his head. But she couldn't bring herself to smile; she had been terrified earlier today, standing among her sisters for the first time in years. Pure power had radiated from them, power of the likes Selena had never before felt.

"There's something wrong with her," she said softly. Then, she shook her head and angrily plunged her feet into the water, feeling slightly better as the water reverberated with her anger. "There's something wrong with all of them. Willing to kill just for a crown."

"You say 'crown' like it's nothing," Finn said wistfully.

"You say 'crown' like it's something of worth," retorted Selena, not bothering to mask the harshness of her words. "It's insanity, Finn, it really is."

"Then do something about it."

To Finn, it was simple. Because how could he be expected to know how it feels? To be cursed with a battle just because she was born? To be expected to kill sisters without remorse? No, the Queentide was anything but simple, a fact that Selena knew she had yet to learn in its entirety.

"It's not that easy," Selena sighed, twisting her hand to raise a small bead of water into her palm. She rolled it around, admiring its simple beauty.

"Maybe it is," said Finn after a long pause.

The water bead fell apart in Selena's hand. She turned towards him like a compass spinning north.

"What do you mean?" she asked, frowning.