E L E V E N

In the Kingdom

CALLISTO WATCHED AS THE WIND MADE THE KINGDOM COME TO LIFE

CALLISTO WATCHED AS THE WIND MADE THE KINGDOM COME TO LIFE. Banners waved in the breeze, and trees bent against the relentless force. Cloaks and dresses fluttered like pairs of desperate wings on the cobblestoned streets below Callisto's tall tower. Her own black dress floated around her like a heavy storm cloud.

She was still shaken from her experience the night before, when Cressida showed up at her tower as easily as walking into a room. Somehow, impossibly, her docile, weak, breakable sister was able to compromise Callisto's strength and power with a simple animal trick. She could never admit it, but that scared Callisto.

Callisto's stupid sister had nearly broken into her tower, and then demanded that Callisto agree to her asinine plan. But she would never. Callisto took orders from no one, much less her breakable, gentle sister. She had underestimated Cressida. The girl was as ambitious and cunning as any snake.

If the weak Queenling from the House of Earth could accomplish that, what else were her sisters capable of? What other tricks were they hiding?

Callisto was born to be Queen. Her hands were already coated with years of blood, and she was gifted in the arts of the courts. She could lie and kill and deceit and fight better than anyone in the House of Wind. That was enough, it had to be.

"It's cold, Callisto," Mina voiced weakly from the other side of the room. "Close the window."

Callisto closed her black eyes against the calming wind, and ignored her friend. Today was the beginning of the end; Callisto would listen to no one, much less a Lady with little land and even less money.

"Callisto," Mina said urgently, her voice suddenly beside the Queenling.

Without consciously thinking, Callisto shot a net of wind directly towards the girl. Mina cried out as the invisible tendrils wrapped around her body, and pulled her to the ground.

Hold her there.

The voices in her mind hissed violently as the wind rushed out of Callisto. They gathered in her mind like old friends, and whispered poisoned advice.

Kill her. Show the world your power, your ruthlessness. Show them that you're not weak or afraid. She is nothing to you. You do not need her. Kill her.

"Don't sneak up on me," the Queenling growled, narrowing her eyes at her only friend. The voices grew louder.

Mina's chest rose and fell in a sporadic pattern that Callisto could not discern. For a moment, the voices faded away, and she released the wind-woven net. The voices muttered distastefully as she stalked to the other side of the room, slamming the window shut with a burst of wind. Callisto did not dare to look at Mina's face, to see the hurt expression that was doubtlessly woven on her features.