T W O

In the House of Waves

SELENA COULD NOT HELP HERSELF FROM JUMPING OFF THE TALLEST CLIFF

SELENA COULD NOT HELP HERSELF FROM JUMPING OFF THE TALLEST CLIFF. Even as her Companion, a strong and fierce leopard, gave a warning growl, she leapt from the grassy ledge.

She flew through the air, her arms all the way outstretched so that her fingers stroked the wind. Selena smiled wide as the sprawling ocean grew closer and closer. She closed her eyes, and willed the salt water to reach up, and gently place her into the water. It lowered her down carefully, cancelling her momentum. She sighed contented, and allowed the cool liquid to wash over her.

Selena floated in the water, suspended above the sand-covered ground. She opened her eyes, and batted her long dark hair out of her face. It floated away, revealing the entirety of the underwater landscape.

Several schools of fish swam by, completely undisturbed by the presence of the young Queen. The coral thrived along the coast, causing hundreds of different animals to live here. Just from where she was floating, Selena could see a sea turtle gliding effortlessly through the water.

She smiled again at the sight of the peaceful community. Then, she kicked off the sandy bottom, propelling herself to the surface.

Selena broke through a wave, and grinned at the sight of Tsunami, her naively named Companion, glaring down at her.

"Sorry, Nami," she called up to her. "But I couldn't resist."

The leopard gave her another look before plopping down onto the grass far above Selena.

"Fine, be that way," Selena muttered.

She made the water stretch towards the sky like a pillar, balancing her on the top. Quicker than a current, she reached the edge of the cliff, and spilled to the ground next to Nami.

Nami grunted, and turned her massive head away from the Queen. Selena giggled, and sat down next to her.

"I'm sorry, Nami, but you really should be used to it by now."

"She jump off another cliff, Nami?" called out a light-hearted voice.

Selena turned around to find Finn walking towards them both, shaking his head while smiling. An osprey trailed behind him in the sky; his Companion. Nami visibly perked up at the sight of him, and leaned into his hand as he reached down to pet her. Selena, meanwhile, made a face at the biased leopard as she began to wring out her now soaking wet hair.

"Maybe," Selena responded, smiling. Finn gave her a hard stare. It only took a few heartbeats for her to cave. "Alright, I did. But you didn't see it, Finn, the water looked so inviting today! So blue and calm."