E I G H T

In the House of Earth

HER CHAMBERS WERE BEAUTIFUL, BUT EMPTY

HER CHAMBERS WERE BEAUTIFUL, BUT EMPTY. Metal decorations filled the empty spaces, and the window allowed tea-stained light to pour through, casting the room in a dirty yellow hue. Cressida's bed was grand, with a large gray canopy surrounding it.

But there was such an artificial feeling to the room that it gave Cressida chills. She wanted to tear down the wall that faced the gardens, and let the pure air flow through the room, for flowers to replace the metal. But, Queenling or not, she doubted that the Kingdom would look kindly to a girl destroying part of the House of Earth.

But this was not the true House of Earth. It was the area of the Kingdom where all Earths lived together, separate from the Winds and Flames and Waves. Separate from Callisto and Nova and Selena. A place dedicated to Earths, and roughly shaped off of the true House of Earth back home.

Cressida absent-mindedly fingered the bracelet that Aeleana had gifted her. The Fae Queen had promised to deliver aid to her, if she ever needed it. It was all too tempting to cast it onto the ground right now, and demand that the Fae kill her sisters.

But Cressida could not. Death was not the only way a Queentide could be won. Bargains could be struck, promises could be made, and hopefully kept. Selena seemed to be the most level-headed of her sisters. She was, other than Cressida, the only one who had spoken with the residents of the Kingdom, no matter the house that they hailed from. If she wanted to get through the Queentide alive, Selena would be the best bet at an ally.

Especially since the Council fawned after her. Cressida was no fool; she knew that the simple dress Selena had worn was manipulation. In a way, Cressida had manipulated the crowd, and Council, as well. Nova in her beautiful yet expensive gown was stunning, but she looked as untouchable as a goddess. Callisto was stormed through the crowd, a scowl permanently etched on her otherwise beautiful face. A black cape had been attached to the black dress she wore, and a sword hung from her side.

Selena and Cressida were playing the same game while Nova and Callisto were aiming for a different angle. Open friendliness opposed to cold arrogance.

"But which angle is going to work?" she mused out loud to Bellatrix, who's only response was pricking up her ears. Sighing, Cressida ruffled her Companion's fur, and carefully detangled the crown of thorns from her curls.

Surprisingly, she had been the only one to wear a crown. Yes, Nova wore the most beautiful dress, and Callisto looked the deadliest, and everyone adored Selena, but Cressida had shown up in a crown. The look on Callisto's face when she looked at Cressida for the first time was worth the amount of times she pricked her fingers on the sharp thorns.

But the other look Callisto had given her was nothing short of undiluted terror and hatred.

Cressida set the crown on her bed, casting all thoughts of her sisters out of her mind, and walked towards the window. Peaks of the cold mountains dotted the horizon, the white of the snow capping them barely visible against the light blue sky. The black castle in the distance cast a dark shadow over the Kingdom, the darkness stretching over the four Houses.