N I N E

In the House of Flames

ARABELLA'S RED HAIR SHONE LIKE A LIVING FLAME, DANCING AND WEAVING THROUGH THE AIR WITH EVERY SMALL MOVEMENT

ARABELLA'S RED HAIR SHONE LIKE A LIVING FLAME, DANCING AND WEAVING THROUGH THE AIR WITH EVERY SMALL MOVEMENT. Nova stared, completely mesmerized by the red color in the dim firelight. With any small gesture, the fiery dance began again, and her attention was recaptured.

After several moments of blatant staring, Arabella noticed. She started in surprise before cocking her head sideways, like a cat, to study the Queenling. "Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked, a hint of humor lining her voice.

Nova looked away embarrassedly, her hair falling down her shoulder to block her face from her friend. "Sorry," was the only word that she could choke out.

Even though she was now looking the other way with a curtain of dark hair separating them, Arabella's face still burned behind Nova's closed eyelids. The vibrant green of her eyes, the shape of her lips, the sharpness of her cheekbone, the carless tumble of hair. And if her eyes trailed lower than that...

Nova forced all thoughts of the girl from her mind. Arabella was loyal and fierce and kind, but she would never agree to become her lover. Because that was not Arabella. Besides, she deserved someone better. A man that was strong and kind and not doomed to die within the year.

And, if Nova somehow won the Queentide and became Queen, she would never be allowed to marry Arabella. The Kingdom followed ancient laws that only recognized the union of a man and a woman. If Arabella impossibly did return Nova's feelings, she would be forced to live in the shadows the rest of her life, visiting Nova only in the dark of night.

Arabella was a Flame; she did not belong in the shadows.

No, Nova could never force her friend to do that just because of her own selfish feelings. Because Arabella would agree to do it, to show her loyalty to her Queen. She would agree to anything that Nova told her to do. She may hate it, but she would agree to make Nova happy. That thought filled the Queenling with a strong surge of self-revulsion.

"You need sleep," said Arabella, her voice yanking Nova from her thoughts. "The Queentide begins tomorrow, and you cannot be caught unawares."

"I'm fine," Nova responded crossly while readjusting the sword that hung by her side. Though she was wearing a simple dress, Nova insisted on wearing her sword along with it. Luckily, she had the best craftsman in the House of Flames fashion her a leather belt made for holding weapons, and she wore it along with any dress.

Arabella eyed her warily, her green gaze filled with doubt and skepticism. "Nova, you don't have to be afraid-"

"I'm not afraid!" Sparks flew from Nova's hands as the words flung themselves from her lips. She took in a deep, ragged breath, in hopes that it would calm her down. "I'm not afraid," she repeated, her voice more even.