S E V E N

In the House of Wind

THE DOCKING WAS A SHORT, SIMPLE CEREMONY

THE DOCKING WAS A SHORT, SIMPLE CEREMONY. With Mina following a few paces behind, Callisto descended the stable gangway, ignoring the cheers from the crowds. Callisto was relieved when it was over, when each sister was escorted through the thick crowd to a safe place to stay. But, she was glad to be given a chance to evaluate her sisters. Callisto watched each of them silently, not daring to make eye contact.

Selena was frail, her casual dress hanging off her thin frame. She carried no weapons, though a dangerous looking leopard was trailing behind her, growling at anyone who looked at Selena the wrong way. A genuine smile was plastered on the dark-haired girl's face, and she beamed at the crowd. Somehow, people flocked towards her. Though there was a thick crowd surrounding her, there was no trace of power lingering around Selena.

No trace of the power that allowed Selena to surround the entire Kingdom in water.

The mere sight of it had left Callisto's mouth impossibly dry. She was dumb-founded as the water rose high above her boat, high above the towers of the Kingdom. Selena was supposed to be the weak one, the first to be slain in the bloody path to the throne. And then, she displayed more power than what Callisto possessed. But the confusion had then turned to anger, and Callisto destroyed the dome with a single wind.

But Callisto was terrified. Terrified of the power that Selena's sweet face and cheerful disposition hid. Terrified that, despite all of Callisto's experience and strength, she would not be the one walking away alive from the Queentide.

Nova was equally as powerful. She managed to light water on fire, and keep the flames burning in a straight line. Another impossible task accomplished with no difficulty. But Nova, at least, was not walking around and speaking with the people of the Kingdom. And she was carrying a weapon; a golden sword hung by her side. Her dress was magnificent, the most beautiful of all the sisters. Callisto herself was wearing a billowing black cape and a regal black dress, but it paled in comparison to Nova's fire-like one.

But as dangerous as Nova appeared, Cressida was the one Callisto feared the most. It was not because of the snarling wolf walking beside her, or the dagger strapped to her arm, or the wooden staff in her hand. It was the crown of thorns resting on her head, the flowers woven through her hair, the way all eyes trailed after her, even far after she had passed by.

The casual weapons. The natural beauty and charisma. The crown. She, out of all the sisters, looked the most like a Queen.

Callisto's beautiful, doe-eyed sister who would ensnare her at the first chance. And then kill her. Cressida was nothing short of deceitful perfection hiding a fanged-monster that would tear Callisto to shreds.