O N E

In the House of Flames

"YOU KILLED THE QUEEN."

The words were muttered darkly by an unfamiliar dark-haired man who walked past Nova in long strides, clearly anxious to retreat from the Queenling. The hot air seemed to still as his words registered in her ringing ears. She halted, and spun around dangerously slow. Before she could shout something back or summon her sparks, a hand wrapped itself around her wrist.

"Don't," warned Arabella, Nova's closest friend.

Nova, however, was not feeling particularly friendly towards the girl now. After a morning filled with shouting at chosen representatives of the Council without Arabella by her side, she felt cranky and irritable. They were now on a thirty minute recess, one that Nova knew would fly by. Somehow, the two girls found themselves wandering around the Market, their eyes skimming over the available merchandise.

"Let go, Arabella," Nova said in the most commanding voice she could muster.

The red-haired girl merely quirked up one of her faint eyebrows. Nova shrugged her hand free, and resumed her glaring.

Arabella sighed. "I get that you're mad at me, Nova, but I did the right thing! You know all the Council people are biased against you-"

"Because I'm a Flame," Nova interjected, not bothering to hid the harshness of her tone. "And they hate us."

"Yes, they do, but we made it that way to protect our people," Arabella said while pulling her along, forcing a reluctant Nova to walk again. "To protect our Queen."

Though Arabella seemed to firmly believe it, Nova knew that neither she nor her people needed any sort of protection. Even if their fire failed, they were each a gifted warrior, even the children. And Nova was the most powerful of all the Flames.

The young Queen scoffed. "If I were Queen, he wouldn't be able to say things like that," she pointed out, throwing a dark look over her shoulder.

"By making you look dangerous, I made the Council fear you," continued Arabella in a soft voice. "That is what will help you win the Queentide."

The Queentide.

Those words had followed her around like a ghost for her entire life. She trained for the Queentide every day, knowing that she would have to be the strongest Queen. If not, she would die, whether at the hands of her sisters or a Flame.

"What will help me win the Queentide," said Nova in a firm yet calm voice that felt fake, "is my power and training. I am stronger than my sisters, our spies have told me that much. Hopefully, it will be over quick so that I can get to the throne."