𝟐𝟒. 𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐂𝐀𝐑

(CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR : GETAWAY CAR)

GETAWAY CAR)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

TIME WAS FROZEN — I didn't know if it had been a minute or an hour, I did know that I hadn't moved from my position on the floor since. Uncurling my body, I manoeuvred my body to sit upright as I blinked away my tears. I didn't want to be weak and cry over an insignificant photograph, so I dug my nails into the palm of my hands until blood drew as punishment. For a while, I stared at the red liquid, mesmerised by the swirls and patterns it made on my skin. Only when my phone beeped did I retract from the trance.

It was Damon. Scanning the text message perhaps thirty times, I repressed my surfacing anxiety as I frowned at the device. He said it wasn't safe at the storage lockers anymore and my position in the plan had been relocated to the woods with Stefan and Jeremy. The change of plans wouldn't have unnerved me if it wasn't the fact that Damon was already stationed at the storage lockers and was now at risk. The same Damon that took me under his wing as an out of control vampire, the same Damon that made it so I had the privilege of a daylight ring, the same Damon that saved my life when I was on the verge of suicide. Without hesitation, I swallowed my self-pity and ignored the aches in my chest, on a mission to save my best friend.

✧࿐ ཾ✧

NEW YORK, NEW YORK [1921]

Damon Salvatore was leaving New York, he was leaving me. In a fit of rage, I flipped the apartment upside down. Tables were turned, curtains cut down and sofas shredded. He was the one constant in my crazy life since I became a vampire. I couldn't care or miss him without my humanity, but that didn't mean I couldn't cause chaos to make him rue the day he decided to abandon me. Everybody abandoned me in the end.

"Lottie," Damon dropped the two bags that he held in his hands. "New York was never permanent, I only stayed for you. But, I've done all I can, you're a lost cause." He acted nonchalant about his departure, which aggravated me to no end. It shouldn't have been so easy for him to leave me behind, he was supposed to be torn up because had his humanity. Unbeknownst to me, leaving was killing Damon inside but showing weakness in front an emotionless vampire would have made him a target of abuse.

"Don't lie." I frowned, what had we become if he resorted to lying about his intent? "You've been conspiring with witches. I may not be able to follow your movements in the day, but I know you've been having secret meetings with a coven at night." I deduced, staring into the abyss beyond our supernaturally adjusted confines. Both of us hated witches, we both had our reasons, but I was the one who tracked down the New York coven for him. I didn't think he would proceed without me, even if it wasn't the most cooperative without emotions.

Like a fish, he opened his mouth to close it again. Damon had no defence for my words, but he didn't feel like needed one. His meetings were impersonal and certainly not an act of betrayal.