𝟏𝟗. '𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐄'𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐃

(CHAPTER NINETEEN : 'CAUSE SHE'S DEAD)

(CHAPTER NINETEEN :
'CAUSE SHE'S DEAD)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

THE STRONG SCENT OF bourbon clung to the creased fabric of my clothes, a misty look dancing in my eyes as I hauled my body upwards. Last night, Damon and I got extremely drunk — which in itself required an obnoxious amount of alcohol for a vampire — and that was all my mind could recall. I couldn't remember falling asleep, or even leaving the Salvatore Residence. Yet, my blurry vision allowed me to recognise the traditional cream tones of Elena's house with relative ease. Somehow, I ended up on the sofa at her house, not that I could figure for the undead life of me how.

"Hello?" I alerted the household I was awake, preferring to not directly call for the brunette owner due to our argument last night. Nobody responded, I waited maybe half a minute before padding in the direction of the hallway. "Somebody's at the door." I added, the persistent sound of the doorbell ringing rattling my already rocky head. "Why will nobody answer the damn door?" I shouted finally, the annoying sound irking me to the point of an outburst.

"Ah, Sleeping Beauty is awake at last." Damon sauntered towards me, descending down the stairs with an unreadable expression on his face. Considering I knew him like nobody else, it scared me when I couldn't detect his emotions.

With caution, my eyes roamed over him, up and down. "How did I even get here, Damon? In case your pea brain forgot, I'm not on good terms with Elena." I fired at him, the dull throb of confusion like a snare drum in my head. "And, what the hell is wrong with your face?" I blurted our when I failed to come to a conclusion by analysing the micro-movements in his muscles.

"Your little cat fight?" He asked rhetorically, pausing for a moment, "is this high on my list of problems right now." Damon gestured to ground level with a downward palm. "I brought you here to keep you safe from my psychotic friend that came back from the dead. To top it all off, the White Oak Stake is missing — you know, the one that can put your little boyfriend and an entire line of vampires down."

I blew out my cheeks. "I sense a whole lot of resentment here." I commented dryly. "As adorable as I find it you want to keep me safe, cut the pre-teen melodramatics and tell me what I can do to help." I sighed, making a mental note to reschedule my Amsterdam flight. At this rate, I'd never leave the cursed town.

Shrugging his shoulders, he avoided my fierce gaze. "You can find Ric." He settled on. "Bonnie is occupied with her usual witchy-woo and I'm meant to find Ric. Instead, I'm going to have a bourbon and avoid my responsibilities." The Salvatore elaborated, already walking towards the front door.

"Not a chance." I grabbed his forearm before he could leave. "If we can get drunk, we can also get alcohol poisoning." He would heal, I knew that. However, I didn't want to tell him the truth, he couldn't flake on his best friend when he needed him. Or, maybe a part of me was concerned he would give up on me that easy if I died too.