𝟎𝟖. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄

(CHAPTER EIGHT : THE IMPROVED CHARLOTTE)

(CHAPTER EIGHT :
THE IMPROVED CHARLOTTE)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

SMUDGED LIPSTICK, RUNNY MASCARA. In an unfamiliar bed with my make-up smeared, I jumped to one conclusion—a rather unappealing one at that. Groggily, I rolled onto my side and exhaled in relief when I discovered there was nobody else in the bed. Grateful, I returned to my initial position, yelping loudly as I found my face to be inches away from that of an Original's vampire. He definitely wasn't there a moment ago.

Kol, in all his morning glory, slyly stretched his arm out, letting it settle comfortably over my waist. "Awake at last, darling?" He mused, no doubt hearing how my malfunctioning heart skipped a beat when he touched me. It was out of my control, my heart was going wild near him. In my defence, there wasn't an appropriate way to react to waking up across from him after one hundred and three years apart.

"Maybe." I responded after a prolonged pause, dry on sarcastic remarks for once. "What the Hell even hap——" I clutched my head and pieced together the events of the previous night. "Wait, you snapped my neck. Oh my God, you asshole. You snapped my neck, hauled my unconscious body to your bedroom and thought what exactly? I would wake up and fawn over the love of my life? I would have hot vampire sex with you to express my gratitude?" I accused, wriggling out from under his arms and stumbling to my feet. Immediately, I missed his warm touch, but would never admit to that out loud.

"You called me the love of your life." He teased. As a smug smirk tugged at the corners of his lips, he sprawled his body out across the bed.

"Really, Kol? Is that the only part you managed to catch onto?" I managed to splutter after failing to force out a message of denial. Word vomit, it made me call him the 'love of my life' and I would stand by that. "Did your selective hearing blank out the part where you took me hostage? You don't get a girl in bed with you by dragging her unconscious body to said bed. And it is pretty illegal." I chastised, falling back into my usual ways of sarcasm and satire. To begin with, I was thrown by the new environment and old flame, but I quickly adapted. In the world of the supernatural, the number one rule was 'adapt to survive.'

With an almost inaudible grumble, the vampire tossed a pillow in my direction, his advanced reflexes meaning the typically soft item quite literally knocked the window out of me. "Cry me a river, darling." Kol moaned. "You weren't the only one with a broken neck, that bloody Salvatore got mine too. Elijah must have brought us both here." He concluded, snapping his fingers.

I sucked the air in between my teeth. "Ooh, that is shameful. An Original being defeated by a vampire one tenth of his age." I taunted. "I'm surprised his corpse isn't in the room somewhere." I leisurely strolled around the bedroom, searching for a dismembered Damon Salvatore.