𝟐𝟐. 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐎𝐔𝐓

(CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO : KNOCKOUT)

KNOCKOUT)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

JEREMY GILBERT WAS AN idiot and I couldn't help but think I dodged a bullet due to his utter lack of common sense. According to Damon, he took his sister to the hospital after she started bleeding to the extent of unconsciousness. In essence, the boy made Elena a prime target for a certain family of vampires with a vendetta. Whilst Stefan and Damon had the pleasure of disposing of Klaus' body, I was sent to do damage and control. For two hours, I'd been waiting for Caroline to bring Elena home because the Salvatores insisted I stayed with Elena today. I didn't dare argue back, spending time with my friend was an excuse to avoid what I did last night — dumb text message included.

On the coffee table, I spotted a magazine and flicked through it until I heard approaching footsteps. Adjusting my posture, I slammed the magazine down and hurried towards the front door. Caroline, Matt and Tyler were supporting Elena's weight when they walked through the front door, although she looked relatively okay. In Mystic Falls, 'still human' constituted as okay.

"You have quite the welcome committee." I remarked, unable to conjured up a witty comment on command. As of late, the grim events had left me feeling drained.

Elena cracked a faint smile, it was forced, but I knew she was trying. Our friendship was strained, but life or death tended to unite people again. Before I could return the gesture, Caroline and the boys were spinning her around towards the couch. Everybody had their undivided attention on the brunette, making quite the scene about the incident — with Caroline taking charge and being the lead drama queen, naturally. "Couch." I heard her order the girl.

"I'm fine." Unknowingly, Elena allowed her heart rate to speed up. In disapproval, I tutted, the Forbes woman would never leave her alone if our friend resorted to lying. "I just——I want something to eat first." The brunette decided, denying herself a seat. In desperation, she glanced at me for assistance. From what I could gather, hospital food was repulsive and she showed no signs of lying about being hungry.

Helplessly, I shrugged. "You're looking at the girl that never had to cook a day in her life." I said truthfully. When I was human, there was hired staff to cook for my family and human food didn't sustain me as a vampire. In fact, I only ate it out in public to keep pretences.

Exasperated, the Gilbert girl turned to Tyler, knowing it would most likely be Caroline and Matt to coddle her. Tyler scrunched his eyebrows together sternly, "We're on it, as soon as we make sure no one is lurking in the closets." He assured her, climbing up the stairs with an agitated Matt Donovan.

"You okay, Matt?" I asked, startling him slightly. "Your heartbeat could wake the dead — or undead, you know." I joked, pointing to the location of his fast-beating heart. Upon further inspection, I noticed his palms were sweaty and his eyes darted around the room. He was scared, which I found suspicious. "I'll come with you." I proposed, wondering what Matt could fear upstairs, or, better yet, what he was hiding. Maybe he would crack if he was alone with me.