𝟎𝟎. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒

(PROLOGUE : THE END OF ALL ENDINGS)

(PROLOGUE :
THE END OF ALL ENDINGS)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

PORTLAND, OREGON [1908]

WHAT WOULD YOU FOR the person you loved? I know what I would do—anything. For the one I loved, it was limitless what I would for their safety and sanity. Admittedly, that was due to my hopeless romantic tendencies, but it was an admirable concept in my mind. Self-sacrifice, however small, was honourable. In my case, I was preparing to leave behind the only city I never knew and the only place I called home to start a new life with a man that I hadn't known all that long. It was crazy and spontaneous, exactly like him and that was why I thought the idea was perfect. Everything could go wrong, but it wouldn't. Love conquered all.

Love conquered all, I thought once more, needing to a double take of the large clock that hung in the city centre train station. Love conquered all, I reminded myself again, glowering in the direction of a brick wall as the hands on the clock ticked forward. Love conquered all, I chanted in my mind, squeezing my eyes shut tightly and wishing that my sweetheart would materialise in front of my concerned eyes. That didn't happen.

"Where are you Kol?" I murmured under my breath, feeling rather exasperated. Subconsciously, my foot had slipped into an infectious rhythm as it tapped away at the pavement in anticipation.

In his typical condescending tone, he had drilled the time six a.m into my mind at least one million times. He said that if I was a minute late, our plans would fall apart and yet, he was the one who didn't show. Part of me thought, or at least hoped, the city clock was too fast. I strove to delude myself into believing that he was coming, I was not lingering hopelessly on a Sunday morning—in my best Church dress, no less— for a man that had no intention of fleeing the city alongside me. Unfortunately, that was exactly what was happening. Here I was, holding out for the man that had promised me a future of magic, the man that had vowed we would travel the world together before starting a life as a couple somewhere far away. Freedom was ahead, he said. Yet, where was my freedom? It would never be in reach now. I risked the wrath of my controlling parents for no other reason than to not even make it onto the train.

In the distance, I recognised a familiar striking shade of brunette hair. Vaguely familiar, but familiar all the same. "Kol?" I implored to the man excitedly, almost bouncing on my heels with happiness. Much to my disappointment, the man promptly turned round when he felt my presence and revealed himself to be no other than the Baker's Son. As in, not the man I expected him to be nor the one I cared intently for. Deflated, I mumbled a low apology to the boy before scurrying off to search for Kol. Maybe I misheard him, we were meant to meet somewhere else. That had to have been it.

Optimistic as ever, I skipped towards the grey stone steps that were placed in the centre of the station. Lifting the skirt of my blue gown up, I perched myself on the steps, humming a joyful tune. Everybody had to pass by these steps, if Kol was here, I would definitely spot him from my prime position.