𝟏𝟔. 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃

(CHAPTER SIXTEEN : BEST SERVED COLD)

(CHAPTER SIXTEEN :
BEST SERVED COLD)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

HONEY HAIR PINNED BACK, I unlinked my arm from that of my date's after catching the distortion of my reflection in a locker. Gently, I tapped the boy on the shoulder and hinted for him to enter the decade dance alone whilst I took a detour to the school toilets, needing to rub red lipstick off of my teeth. His face sagged in disappointment, he thought that this would have been our 'power couple' announcement to the population. Easily, I decided to prohibit going public with our status because I could see the end before we even began, which was a bad sign. There was also the added fact I really did have lipstick on my teeth, certainly not the most attractive.

Sighing, I flung the door to the bathroom open, immediately running the cold water tap to help remove the stain. It took a minute at most, giving me sufficient time to rehearse a smile in the mirror. To my horror, when I glanced up, my vampire features had been unwillingly brought forward — the thick, pulsing veins, malicious, red eyes and sharp, pointy fangs had invaded. Inhaling, I squeezed my eyes firmly shut, only opening them again when I knew the abnormalities had retracted. Unknowingly, I released a breath, but was gasping for air only a second later. Fiercely, a rather vital crimson fluid had begun pouring out of my upper body at an immense speed, in the exact spot where an extremely necessary organ was located — my heart was bleeding.

Clutching my heart, I stumbled into a cubicle, whimpering. "Kol," his name slipping from my lips on instinct, like a reflex.

"Charlotte," the Original sped into the room not a moment later, leaving me rather perplexed, yet indebted. "Who did this?" He demanded sharply. As the man sunk to my level to analyse the wound, he discovered that the substance had no opening, it was coming from nowhere.

"I don't know." I mumbled. Rather than it being a physical pain, an overwhelming wave of dejection consumed me. "It's peculiar. I was looking in the mirror and my vampire face appeared, no trigger, then I started bleeding and now I fe——" I coughed, mud, dirt and grime spluttering out of my open mouth onto the tiled floor. "I feel anguished, heartbroken almost and, apparently, I'm throwing up the contents of the ground too."

'Heartbroken' undeniably struck a cord in him. There was no plausible explanation for the three significant events being mere coincidences. On the contrary, he deduced that they all had one common thread and it was him. "A witch, it must be." Kol clicked his fingers as all the jumbled puzzle pieces fell into place. "It's how you should have died. Nik compelled you to stab yourself in the heart and you've bled from your heart. He gave you the letter that left you heartbroken. Then, as a result, you became a vampire." He listed, folding his arms a little too snugly when I accepted he was right. Even the dirt made sense, I was buried alive originally.