Epilogue - F.E.A.R. Final Transmission

The piercing cry of a newborn split through the cold afternoon air, the silence of the falling snow broken by the child who had just been brought forth into this world.  Her tiny hands clenched into fists, pink mouth agape while she screamed in shock at her entrance into this strange place.  Where was the warmth, and the comfort of close spaces?  Why was there so much light, and why were the voices so loud?  She had been warm, surrounded by wetness and home before she suddenly began being squeezed out of the familiar place, and into this new, foreign world.  Someone was rocking her, and then there was a sharp pinch which caused her cries to begin anew; her belly was hurting slightly, and she was starting to dislike this new place quickly.

    “Easy girl,” the man who held the baby cooed, “Hey little girl.  Hey.”

    She opened her eyes, squirming in his grasp after he had cut her umbilical cord.  He leaned down to kiss her on the brow, seeming overcome with emotion for a few moments.  She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.  The woman laying on the bed was covered in a sheen of sweat, her skin clammy from exertion.  Her blonde hair surrounded her face, sticking in places while she breathed heavily.  It was obvious that she was absolutely exhausted, but her hands reached for the tiny pink baby in the man’s hands.  He put the blanket they had found around her before placing her in her mother’s arms.  The woman smiled toothily, her breathing evening as the child cuddled up to her naked chest.

    “What do you want to name her Doll?” the man asked, his dark hair falling slightly into his bright blue eyes.  She grinned.

    “I don’t know, do you have any ideas Jinxx?”  He smiled in return.

    “How about Dawn?” he whispered in Doll’s ear, earning a smile from the woman.  The little baby gurgled, stretching her little arm out before cuddling closer to her mother. 

    “Dawn,” she mused, “For Light?  For Sixx and the others?” 

    Jinxx nodded.

    “For all of us,” he whispered, “She is the first baby since F.E.A.R. was eradicated.  She’s the dawning of a new era.”

    “Dawn it is then,” she agreed, “Our beautiful little girl.”

    It was then that the couple rejoiced, hugging and kissing for a few moments until the baby began to cry again.  The mother latched the baby’s greedy little mouth onto a nipple, and fell asleep while Dawn nursed.  The man kissed his wife lovingly while his fingers ran gently over the brow of their newborn baby.  Neither of the parents knew that anyone was watching, that someone was smiling from up above even while they heard the cries from the damned deep in hell.  No one knew that we were watching, ever present in the new world.

    Wings were definitely something new as well.

    “What are you doing Andy?  Watching them again?”

    Her voice was like liquid honey, and her arms wrapping around me were more comforting than anything I had ever known.  The wings fit this red haired woman perfectly; she had always been an angel.  I didn’t understand how we acquired them, but perhaps it was because she had wished it.  One day she had wanted wings, told me I would look good with them as well, and then there they were, white and beautiful upon our backs.  They would disappear soon enough though for our minds were ever changing in this perfect realm.

    “Yes,” I replied, “Doll had her child.”  Light grinned.

    “What did they name her?”

    I scoffed slightly, laughing as I knew she would blush when she heard why they had named her as they did.

    “Dawn,” I replied, “For you.  For us.”