7 - Devil's Choir

It had been a month since F.E.A.R. released its last transmission of so called trust.  I didn’t buy one ounce of the bullshit he had spewed but I was sure plenty of the folks in Faith had.  They didn’t have anything else to believe in, let alone trust.  Out here in the desert, we were our own men.  We did what we wanted, trained to fight and made plans to overthrow the city.  For a while, that had been pretty decent but lately I wasn’t so sure.  Ever since that last speech, I had been riled up for a fight.  They challenged us to a war, thinking that they could overpower us just because we were underdogs.  Fuck that.  I carried my darkest desires with me to stave off what they deemed reasonable thinking.  F.E.A.R. believed only in tormenting people into a dull placated society.  They knew that if the people found out about inner strength, they’d be done for.  That was why they were speaking out against us.

    “Hey man, you ready for tonight?” Cracken asked, clapping me on the shoulder.  I nodded.

    “Fuck yes,” I stated with conviction.  There was only one thing holding me back.

    Light wasn’t really talking to me except for the occasional glare, but what the fuck did I care?  I had shit to do, people to save.  Still, it bugged me that she thought so lowly of our leader.  He had guts, had passion to do what was right and didn’t give a damn what anyone else thought.  She was just stuck in a mindset where doing something was wrong and it was sinful or some shit to go against the church.  At least, I had convinced myself of that belief.  Nonetheless, I felt myself sink into a bit of shame for not even telling her I was going to do this.  Jake had told me I should, as had Doll and Jinxx, but I couldn’t bring myself to.  They had adopted her as part of our group, but somehow I didn’t see it that was.  She was the girl I saved, the one I was responsible for…but that…fuck it didn’t matter.

    I grabbed for a few supplies that included a pair of brass knuckles and what Cracken had called a katana.  It was a Samurai sword.  No need to get technical, but it was as equally deadly as it was efficient and lightweight.  It slashed through just about anything I put it to the test on so I figured what training I had done would be sufficient to get in and get out of Faith.

    “Are you sure about this Sixx?”  The voice made me turn back to nod curtly at my main man, Jinxx.  He looked like he was about to puke though and didn’t seem to apt to be on this mission.  Maybe it was because Doll had found out she was pregnant recently and he didn’t want to leave her side.  He was going soft because of her, but hey, I couldn’t really blame him.

    “I am.”  The statement was short enough to show confidence but I still found none in my buddy’s eyes.  “Hey man, if you don’t want to do this, no one will think less of you, you know.”

    “Yeah I know,” he replied quietly.

    “Is it Doll?” I asked and he shrugged before nodding, “Dude, just stay with her then.  You don’t need to be distracted.  Shit CC wanted to come anyway so go wake his ass up.”

    “Ah fuck, you give me that job, really?”  I knew what he meant.  CC was the worst person to wake up.  Typically he tried to strangle you first but then he settled down. 

    “Just do it, come on,” I answered, watching as Jinxx sighed and his shoulders relaxed.  He really had been tense about going on this mission.  I turned back to the gloves I’d been shoving my hands into when I heard Jinxx say something.  It took me a moment to realize it, but it made my lip curl just as much as it made my heart beat.

    “You really should tell Light.  She…she’s going to worry whether or not you tell her.”  He was gone before I could muster a reply.  I grumbled and continued to slip on gear.