6 - F.E.A.R. Transmission: Trust

The tomato crunched beneath my teeth, a wave of juicy contents causing my tongue to quiver and lap up the taste.  I smiled down at the ornately decorated table before me, lavish foods and wonders all brought out for the god who ruled the kingdom.  I popped another cherry tomato in my mouth, relishing the sweet sensation dancing in my mouth.  Meats, cheeses, fruits both domestic and exotic, fresh vegetables and delectable breads adorned the scene before me.  My stomach growled for more, an insatiable appetite fit for one of my status taking hold of me. 

    And then the door burst open.

    I snarled and stood, the chair falling away from me and crashing onto the floor.  Eyes pinned the perpetrator to the wall, his fear alight in wide eyes.  I bared my teeth and watched him cower to his knees, begging for forgiveness.  I didn’t care what he had to say, interrupting a meal such as this deserved death.  I grasped my hooded crown and placed it over my head before sweeping towards the intruder.  The knife in my hand was meant for the back of his head, but, the letter clutched in his shaking fist was enough to quell my fury for a moment.

    “What do you want?” I growled, watching the coward shiver again.

    “M-m-my liege, a letter for you.  The guard says the escapees have not been found,” he replied shakily, much to my pleasure.  Fear was a delicious emotion when watched in another human.  “Th-they say a rebel faction has been formed but-”

    “But they are only whispers,” I cooed, allowing the man to rise.  He was much shorter then me, the terror riddling his body and releasing sweat upon his brow.  I tsked him.  “And you are interrupting my meal for this?”

    “Ye-yes my lord.  Also to tell you th-that one of the horses is gone.”

    Anger flashed into my core, flaming hotly out through my limbs and down to my fingertips.  Teeth bared like a wild animal as I crushed him against the wall and I bellowed in his face.  The man paled, nearly fainting.  I dragged him towards the balcony, ignoring his protests and his attempts at stopping me.  The anger within me burned out of control and threatened to spill over.  I could not stop myself from taking the man and kicking his knees out from beneath him.  He knelt before me and I cackled aloud, watching as I grabbed him by the throat and roared in his face.  Fury reached the center of my core, heat spreading as the citizens below looked on.  They began to pause in the pavilion below the church, staring upwardly as I brought the man back to his feet.

    “I shall pardon you for your insolence.”

    I allowed the sound of my voice to echo through the crowd so that all knew I had been merciful towards this trespasser.  Sometimes it was necessary for the harsh and powerful to show weakness lest the chattel begin to frighten.  They needed to be soothed that everything was going to be okay. 

    I laughed darkly under my breath.  These rebels thought they could set my cattle free, but I would teach them.  I would bring the population under my wing and show them compassion before I would strike against those who tried to rise up against our power.  They would never see it coming when the masses battled against them in favor of F.E.A.R.

    I turned to the masses and raised my head high.

    “The rebels claim their brave new world is upon us. Do not be fooled by the chicanery in which they lay their claim.  It is false, and their uprising will not succeed.  You will place your trust in F.E.A.R.  You must!”