Preface - Exordium

The rain pitter pattered on the ground and on the tops of the heads of all the people who were striding towards the great looming structure hidden in the mist.  The wooden spires stood tall, coiling in a picturesque example of architecture and human dexterity.  A peak made of iron and oak pointed towards the heavens, the roof slanted in both directions and cascading sheets of undulating waters poured down onto the population below.  Carvings of gargoyles dotted the expanse, crosses and angels taking form as we came closer.  Gold shimmered in the hazy light while guards loaded us into the cathedral like chattel, guarding the gates with weaponry that outclassed us lower ranked folk.  The crowd smelled like poverty and death, a sickness having washed through the poor parts of our once fine city much like the precipitation that now fell from the heavens.

    I cradled my sixteen year old brother beneath my arm, shielding him from much of the water that fell from the sky as we reached the entrance to the citadel.  We were some of the first of the people who were going to enter and get a seat, which was a nice change of pace.  I gripped to him tighter so that we wouldn’t lose one another in the mob but he shrugged me off stubbornly, standing on his own in the dreary weather.  I scowled softly at him before ruffling his hair, watching frightened as I caught the gaze of a guard.  A shiver coursed through my body from head to toe as I thought on the ritualistic beatings given to the lower ranking citizens which consisted of everyone not involved with the church.  Anyone who spoke out against the ministry was immediately put to death, whether it be in the streets or elsewhere.  

    My father had been one of those people, shot through the skull when I was sixteen and Antonius was only eleven.  We had watched him as his head was blown to bits, brain matter and blood splattering across the cobblestone pavements.  His blue eyes were gone, dark, short cropped hair disintegrated and once smiling face obliterated.  There had been nothing left of his face and mother had lost her mind at the death of our dad.  She had gotten sick and died soon after.  

    All I had left was Antonius.

    He had become a rebellious young man, taking part in underground factions that I didn’t feel comfortable with.  I worked at a stable for the rich, taking care of the horses and making a meager amount of money.  I managed to keep us clothed and fed as best I could since Antonius was not in any shape to work.  If he spoke to people rudely, he would be shot and I would be alone.  Perhaps it was a selfish need to keep my brother alive, but it was there nonetheless.  He was my entire family wrapped up into one bullheaded pain in the ass.

    He looked at me and unexpectedly smiled before wrapping his arms around me.  This was an odd gesture.  My brother was bitter and stubborn as a mule, rarely giving me hugs even when I had been the one to initiate them.  A cold stone of dread pitted in my stomach, my blood running cold as I tried to understand what he was doing.  The hug was genuine, warm even and so unlike Antonius that I gripped to him.

    “What are you doing?” I whispered in his ear, watching as he pulled away.  

    His hazel eyes were much like my own though the dark brown of his hair was more like our dad’s.  Pale Irish skin mirrored mine as well, the multitude of freckles that were present on my flesh were oddly absent from his.  The bright grin on his lips was so out of character that I felt tears begin to prick my eyes, though I could not tell if they were happy or sad ones.  It was so nice to see him smile that I became hopeful that my gut feeling was incorrect and nothing was wrong, but as Antonius pulled away from me, my heart hammered in my chest.

    “No,” I uttered, unable to grab him before he rushed away from me, taking a stand at the top step and spreading his arms wide.  Somehow the mirth on his face paused the guards from shooting him dead and the herd of humans stopped lifelessly in their tracks.  Everyone seemed to hold their breath as my brother opened his mouth.

    “The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you, not in a mansion of wood and stone!  Split a piece of wood and God is there! Lift a stone and you will find God!” he cried triumphantly, his words echoing through the shower of rainwater that drenched us all to the core.  My body was covered in goosebumps but I could not tell where the emotion had come from.  Was I chilled to the bone or was it my brother‘s speech making me tremble?

    “Open your eyes!  Take your freedom!”

    He raised a fist, an ebony flag fluttering from his upraised hand marked with a white symbol standing out even in the downpour.  Everyone could see it and every single person in the throng gasped.  My eyes went wide as I beheld the star traced in circles, three on each concave corner of the shape.  He looked to me, an apologetic smile upon his lips.  Time seemed to freeze for a moment as Antonius stared at me, mouthing his apology while his eyes showed the morose decision he had made.

    And then his blood sprayed me in the face as he was shot from behind.