3 - F.E.A.R. Transmission: Stay Close

The mask comfortably slipped over my face, the tall stature of the cowl creating the image of a godly creature to those who looked upon me.  Perhaps that was what they thought, that I was their creator and the church was to me.  My disciples all donned the same cloak and hood, but only I wore the golden mask upon my face.  It resembled a skull, but the people didn’t know that.  They could never understand something that was beyond the comprehension of cattle.  Their minds were easily bought and sold, their bodies disposed of as more were bred.  Three last cities made of humans and I was their leader, their deity.

    I smirked in the darkness, hand curled upon the disguise I wore.

    The room I stood in was ornately decorated, marble floors and gold inlaid walls that created intricate designs and fashions.  Flowers grown from the only remaining garden in this godforsaken world were arranged in vases throughout the space whilst a breeze floated in from the clearing skies of the outside world.  The bay window with what were once called ‘French doors’ opened onto a carved balcony which overlooked the citizens of Faith.  Little did these infidels know, Hope and Salvation were also within my grasp.  They believed their dwellings were separated by great distances, but in reality they were only parted as though they were the cell blocks in a prison.

    “The last prison,” I mumbled confidently, knowing that my position would forever raise obedience from the creatures below.  Power could make a man hungry, but my need had been satiated. 

    The world wars had taken care of that.  My father and his before him had taught me to rule with a fist, but with one that would protect and defend.  They had no idea what that meant, how to keep citizens from murdering each other.  There needed to be fear and hope, a delicate balance created to keep them from straying away from the rules we bequeathed…or rather that I bequeathed.  I was the puppet master, the one pulling all the strings to make the monkeys dance at my will.  To safe keep these destitute animals, they needed to be kept in line and fed only enough to keep them alive.  Freedom would be their end.

    It was then that the door to the rest of the mansion opened and one of my subordinates walked through, decked head to toe in black.

    “What?” I snapped, staring at him for a moment.  He nodded.

    “The chattel are attempting an uprising.  There have been factions in Faith, Hope and Salvation which created a rebellion this morning.  Speeches were made and blood was shed.  Twenty-three escaped the sanctuaries alive.  Sentries were sent out to bring them to justice, but there have been none to return,” he announced solemnly and without emotion.  I raised a brow.

    “An uprising?” I whispered, pulling my lips into a line and wearing my façade of concern.  All the people in these cities believed in me as their leader, but the men of the church followed me to whatever end.  I was correct and they held the same opinion.

    In that, I found myself to be a god.

    “Yes,” he responded bluntly, “A red haired woman was seen on the Wailing Wall this morning.  She also caused trouble at the front of the line into the cathedral.  People are speaking of her blatantly in the streets.”

    “Silence those who speak at all of the rebellion,” I replied calmly, “This need not turn from a brush fire to a wildfire.”

    “Yes sir,” he added, “Is there anything else?”

    “Make ready the hologram.  I will make a speech immediately,” I replied, staring at the underling with cold eyes.  He bowed deeply and exited the room without a word. 

    I wasn’t threatened by unrest.  There was always turmoil in these times and for all the wrong reasons.  People died, it happened.  Perhaps the guards were being too lax with the amount of citizens they killed, but no matter.  That could easily be fixed so that they would settle before we brought the fence back in around them.  Frightened cows need room to breathe for a bit, lest they break free.  I knew how to handle something like this.  They didn’t worry me.  Nothing startled a man in my position when he knew that he would be a leader for an endless time period.  If there was to be a war, so be it.  I could crush them with a flick of a finger so long as my chattel stayed in their corrals.

    However I made a mental note to take a wife soon so that she should bear children for me.  I needed an heir to teach.

    The flickering of the air on the terrace announced that the hologram would work.  An image of me would appear on the side of the church and on every street of the encampment.  This ensured that every person would hear what I had to say.  I  straightened my shoulders, fixing my attire so that it did not lean and stepped towards the exit into the light that had come from the cleared heavens.

    I crossed my arms into my sleeves and raised my voice to the world.

    “We expect the battle for humanity is about to begin.  Within each uprising, a fake sense of safety will ignite in you, and unseen shadow will slip from doubt towards those who protect, and defend you.  But let the thoughts slip away, and remain calm, stay close to F.E.A.R. only we can protect.”