16 - F.E.A.R. Transmission 3: As War Fades

This was all wrong!  None of this was going the way it was supposed to!  My fingers were in my hair, cowl left upon the floor as I paced in the last place that was safe.  The study looked dull, no food or light dancing for my pleasure, no servants or petty people to make me feel like the king I was.  Everything was falling apart at the seams, the world crashing down around me.  The army had failed and their stinking, rotting, filthy pieces of shit bodies were strewn below in the citadel square.  The rebels were winning but I couldn’t let them know that.  There was one more battalion to use but I would not let them leave the cathedral; I was far more important than the rest of the rich folks.

    Let the peasants pillage the rest of the city, take what they wanted and then come here to finish the job.  There would be soldiers waiting to destroy them and they wouldn’t have a clue as to what hit them when their heads were all chopped clean.  They would not survive this war, but I would endure.  F.E.A.R. would prosper and the peasants would breed like rabbits, brining me new subjects.  I didn’t care, let them fight, let them kill.  This would all end sooner or later.

    And it would not finish with me dead.

    I shook my hair out of my face, holding my head high before donning my cowl once more.  Let them see my face, let them know I was not afraid of their pitiful uprising.  I would speak to them from the balcony as I had when I attempted to destroy the rebellion with one swift slice.  That plan had failed because of the red haired woman with the arrow.  It didn’t matter though.  She would fall just as the rest of them as would the boy she had saved.  Nothing was going to stand in the way of my reign.

    I stepped into the pale afternoon light, eyes looking down upon the dead in the streets and spying the living near a funeral pyre.  Someone important to them must have died and the thought made my lips curl in a sneer.  They would all suffer in the end.

    “We are not interested in the possibility of defeat,” I called, making sure to grasp the attention of the bastard children below.  A few hundred eyes met mine, my sly grin growing.  “Not within the silence of a deserted ally nor the clamor of a crowded street.”

    They were curious, walking towards the citadel with eyes cast upwards at me.

    “F.E.A.R. cannot be vanquished, we cannot be destroyed!”  A few calls went up from the crowd, but I continued.  “F.E.A.R. will rise up again and control the masses, take back the power and crush the insurgent hoard!”

    They were really pissed now, my eyes alight as they howled and screeched out at me.  It was a delicious sensation, to be hated by them as I despised the rebels in turn.  They would not last the night and the idea that I could rally them, cause them to hope and to hate was undeniably sweet.  If they wanted to fight, I would give them a sword to die by!

    As war fades in to the distant memories of enlightened pigs and open wounds, the rebels will begin to perish - one by one, they should,” I growled, hands holding onto the balcony rails as I hailed out my decree, “Feel the fear of dying young!  Do not ignore the chance to scream!  Lie awake at night in terror, admitting F.E.A.R. will return to glory and the story of Rebels who set out to conquer will finish…”

    I paused, watching as the scene below me played out.  Men were watching as were women and children, all set to die by this evening.  My eyes were wild, hands in the air as I allowed my teeth to be bore like a wild creature.  One man stood alone near the battlefield, and he met my gaze with a fire to match my own.  They would know of my vengeance, of the abhorrence growing in me for them.  They would die screaming and crying, begging for a forgiveness that never existed.  Their souls would perish in fire and blood, lost to an eternity of darkness whereas I would remain in the light.  They had no idea of their folly, of what this uprising would do to their souls.  The rebellion dared to target me, their idol and king?  The kingdom would not stand for it.  I would not stand for it.  This would all come to an end!

    “In blood.”