Chapter 6: My best Friend is a Dragon (1/2)

Hiccup's POV:

After a good couple of minutes of chasing, I managed to trick Toothless by feigning another direction and immediately pounced on him with surprising speed, even for me. I quickly strap the saddle on him, then I step back to admire my work. That's when I suddenly feel a sharp pang of pain on my arm, where Toothless bit me. I decided to ignore it as Toothless clearly wanted me to fly with him again, this time I'm ready. I hop onto his back and so he launches into the air. It's incredible flying on a dragon, that is until you fall off of one. Not that it happened intentionally, as I accidentally pulled my harness too much and proceeded to fall off, into the water.

I add a metal clamp to affix myself onto Toothless's saddle so I won't fall off the next time I'm on Toothless. The next day, I come to the cove again to use the hopefully improved saddle and test it out. When I finish strapping the saddle on Toothless, I hop on and we launch straight into the air. Not too long my arm suddenly hurts as if my muscles are cramping which makes us crash into a field of tall grass. I quickly stand up and find Toothless writhing and rolling on his back in the tall grass, clearly in bliss. Interesting, I'll call this dragon nip. I quickly grab a handful of dragon nip, to use in dragon training.

The very next day, in dragon training, Gobber releases the Gronckle again from day one of training. This time our objective is to grab the head without dying, then try to control it by holding its head, without dying of course. I keep getting cramps and soreness from my left arm where Toothless bit me, I hope I'm not dying or anything because it would suck to die without doing something great in my life. Of course, after chasing Ruffnut and Tuffnut who happens to be arguing about their tastiness, goes after me. As soon as it comes within reach, I grab ahold of its head and take out the dragon nip and shove it up its nose. The effect is almost instant as it falls down in bliss. Clearly, everyone is shocked to see me taking down a Gronckle with one arm practically limp.

Unfortunately, everyone started following me, bombarding me with questions of how I keep winning the objective. Only Astrid seems to be silent and observing from afar, which is kinda creepy, but I guess my new celebrity status is something she's not used to.

"Hey Hiccup, I've never seen a Gronckle do that before!" Exclaims Fishlegs.

"Yeah, how'd you do that?" Asks Tuffnut.

"It was really cool, can you teach us?" Says Ruffnut.

"Hey look! A Night Fury!" I shout, and as soon as I do it, everyone strains their neck to see nothing.

"Hey, where do you think you're going?" Says Astrid as she stops me from leaving.

"Look, I gotta go meet Gobber at the forge to repair some weapons and stuff... so yeah see you later!" I quickly answer and run off to the cove.

For some reason, being near Toothless calms me, and seemingly stops the pain in my arm that I've had to deal with throughout the week. I start scratching him behind his head, and when I start scratching right under his ear, he immediately falls over, relaxed and content. Hmm, this could be useful in training.

In the next class of dragon training, Gobber releases the same Deadly Nadder again to watch us fail epically at our objective, but unlike everyone else, I got some tricks up my sleeve. I somehow attract the attention of an angry Deadly Nadder, no thanks to everyone else cowering behind the obstacles. I remember its blindspot and use it so it gets confused and uses my scratching technique on the Nadder, making it fall down, purring in bliss. That's when I notice Astrid in an attacking pose, clearly about to strike the Deadly Nadder while I was distracting it. She throws her axe on the ground and shouts in frustration.

At the mess hall, instead of me eating alone at my table, everyone else from the adjacent table stands up and quickly fill up my table, leaving Astrid alone, all eager to find out how I'm able to take down the dragons.