Chapter 3

Michael

The bell rang signaling the end of class and the end of the day. I was about to leave the classroom when I heard Jordan's phone buzz. I glanced at her talking to the teacher before reading the message from an unknown number.

Hey, its Damion. Thanks again for agreeing to help me.

"Why does Damion have your number?" I exclaimed as she walked back to her desk.

"I gave it to him." She replied calmly.

"Why?" I lowered my voice this time.

"He seems overwhelmed with everything and I told him I'd help him study." Jordan explained.

"Do you even know the guy?" I asked. "Did you not hear everything Luke and Ashton said?"

"I did hear but I chose to ignore it, and I'm glad I did because he's actually a really nice guy. We talked for most of last period." She told me.

"He's dangerous." I said.

"You don't even know him, how can you say that?" Jordan asked with raised eyebrows.

"Jordan" I said, in almost a pleading tone this time. "Stay away from him, please."

"Michael, I don't need a babysitter. I also don't need you deciding my friends." Her tone turned harsh as she picked up her things and left. I sighed heavily and followed her out the door.

-

"Mike." Ashton said as he elbowed me. I pulled my harsh gaze away from Damion and Jordan as I turned to look at him.

"What?" I snapped.

"Could you please pay attention?" He said. "This project is due in three days."

"Do we have to do it today?" I questioned.

"Why is today a-" Ashton followed my gaze before letting out a sigh. "You have no right to be angry at her."

"You know she hasn't talked to me since she started helping him." I said.

"You upset her mate." Ashton shrugged.

"You said so yourself that he was in jail." I replied in a hushed voice.

"Yeah but I don't actually believe it. That was just a rumor." Ashton said. "Try apologizing to her Mike, and finish your half of the project. I wrote down everything you have to do." He slid a piece of paper over to me before slinging his backpack over his shoulder. "I'll see ya later."

I let out a huff as I stared down at the paper. I tried to focus on finishing so I didn't have to do it over the weekend but my eyes kept drifting back to Damion and Jordan.

"Hey stranger." I heard someone say quietly. I lifted my eyes to meet hers and smiled.

"Hi." I replied to Jordan.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned.

"Ashton and I have a project to finish." I answered.

"I was here with Damion." She paused a moment as she met my gaze. "Look, I'm sorry I snapped at you the other day. I was just-"

"I'm the one who should be apologizing Jordan. I don't know who he is and I shouldn't be telling you who to talk to. I just don't want to see you hurt." I admitted.

"Hurt? Damion would never hurt me." Jordan chuckled. Something about the look I saw in Damion's eyes made me doubt if that sentence was really true.

"Michael?" Jordan questioned, snapping her fingers in front of my face. I tore my eyes away from where Damion now sat and brought my attention back to her.

"Do you want to come over tonight?" I asked, catching her by surprise. "To Ashton's? All the guys will be there."

"Sure, sounds fun." Jordan smiled. "I'll see you then." She gave me a small wave before standing up and walking off. I watched as Damion's eyes followed her every move.