3: Little Tilly?

I followed Rinai into the shop. Wandering around on my own while Rinai selected some new equipment. I picked through some items more out of curiosity than any need for equipment. I already had more than I could ever use. Most of it gifts from NPC quests or drops from goats.

It wasn't long before Rinai tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to see his new look.

"Holy hell!" I gasped, eyes wide.

His 'armor' now consisted of dark indigo blue arm guards that stopped just before his shoulders. A wide collar in the same color around his neck extended past his collarbones with two straps running down around his ribs, crossing at his back and coming back around the front just above his hips making a v below his navel. He had also changed his pants to soft looking ones in the same color. The pants hung low on his hips and seemed to me more like pajamas than something to be worn while fighting.

A/N Rinai's armor, not what Rinai looks like though. Not my image, all rights to owner.

It's certainly obvious he's a man now, if only due to showing so much skin

It's certainly obvious he's a man now, if only due to showing so much skin. Definitely ridiculously sexy. Seems like a blade dancer rather than blade master. Of course, I'll never tell him that.   

"No good?" Rinai sounded disappointed.

"It's fine. It looks good. That color looks great on you. I'm surprised is all." I tried to reassure him. I also tried to peel my eyes off him. I wasn't very successful at either attempt. 

I needed to get myself under control. If he wanted to expose and accentuate his chest, abs, arms like that I'd just have to respect it and stop ogling the man like he's a piece of meat. It was entirely his choice what he wanted to wear. 

Wait, was it his choice? Did NPCs get to decide like this?

"Hey, Rinai. Is it ok to just change your character design on your own like this?" I regarded Rinai quizzically. 

"I honestly don't know or care. I will not have people mistaking me like that." He crossed his arms and stood defiantly. 

"Are your stats alright? Will you be safe without that other gear?" I was doubtful since it seriously looks strictly decorative.

Rinai looked really amused by Afira's flustered appearance and not so subtle glances. "This is so much fun." Rinai chuckles quietly to himself.

"What?"

The corner of his mouth quirked up. "Yeah, no problem. Actually a little higher defense this way. Better speed too which is great for me." 

I scrunched my face in disbelief thinking how stupid the stats are considering that he has no coverage to speak of. Whatever, game logic for equipment is bazaar like that. I guess the speed part could be reasonable. Certainly looks easy to move in.

"Alright then, if you're all set I still need to meet up with another NPC." Guess I'll take his word for it and I really want to get moving so I have something to do besides awkward staring.

A/N Ha, the awkward staring will continue when they met up with 'little Tilly. Only for a different reason. 

We left the shop and headed to the open market area of town where Gramma Nina had told me to look for her granddaughter. "She'll be at Nina's herb stall." Were her only directions. I approached the stall and asked the only person there, "I'm looking for Tilly, please. Gramma Nina sent me." 

"Oh thank heavens." There was an audible sigh of relief, "I've been so scared of those monsters arrival. I'm Tilly. It's so very nice to meet you sirs." A kind voice says, clearly pleased at our arrival. 

My mouth opens and closes several times as I stand there stunned.  

'littleTilly' turned out to be the buffest, hulking Amazon warrior of a woman I had ever seen. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that after knowing petite Gramma Nina and her tiny granddaughter Erica, I didn't expect her other granddaughter Tilly to be rather uhh... massive. 

I also wouldn't expect a woman with enough muscles to snap me in two to be nervous about some mid-level mobs. But here she is. A giant, hulking, delicate maiden trembling in fear while clutching my hand and blushing. 

"We have one more day until the siege begins. Can we just leave? Or pack away your stall?" I ask Tilly.

"I can't. The area is set for the ambiance of the event. If there is an empty market and no NPCs around it would look odd to the players."

"Huh, that's too bad. Do you want to leave Tilly? We could escort you away from town today, come back and keep your wares safe." She was clearly terrified about the upcoming event. I don't want the poor girl to stay and be traumatized.

"I wish we could." Tilly sighed sadly, "I have to stay here or it will create a bug in the side quest of you protecting me." 

"I see. I'm sorry it's like that Tilly." I patted her hand reassuringly. "Let's spend today outfitting you with the best defense equipment we can find then ok? Maybe we could also strengthen the stall itself somehow." 

~~~+++~~~

They spend a few hours looking for equipment for Tilly and planning how to best defend the stall. Time passes quickly. Eventually, Tilly heads back to her stall leaving Afira and Rinai.

"Let's fight some mobs outside town together tomorrow to get to know each other's abilities," Rinai suggests. "You can text me when your going to log in and I'll meet you at the town's gate ok?"

"Sure!" I'm looking forward to seeing the Sword Master in action. "Oh yeah. How can you text me? I meant to ask about that but kept forgetting." 

I understood Gramma Nina's text as a side quest but Rinai's was really out of the blue.

"Right... that.. erm." He shrugged and gave a half smile. "Actually Gramma Nina asked me to help you out. She's a wiz at hacking the game so she gave me your contact info." He gazed at Afira sheepishly.

"What! She's a hacker? That's.... pretty astonishing actually." I thought of the sweet old granny that baked me hp foods and doted on her granddaughter. I just couldn't picture her as someone good with system codes. I guess she's kinda made of code herself though right?

"Can all NPCs do that?" Gramma Nina has always been totally kind and wonderful. Probably not all NPCs are though. What kind of havoc could be caused by this ability? 

"No, no." Rinai held up his hands appearing very sincere, "I've never heard of anyone else that can. It's definitely not an easy thing to do." 

"Is that how it is?" I'm glad it's not a common skill at least. "I'll text you tomorrow then Rinai. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Afira." Rinai pulled at his lip with his teeth. "Umm Afira? You could also just text anytime if you want." He eyed Afira hopefully. "That's a thing people in your world do right?"

"Yes, it is." I cocked my head in confusion, "ok? I'll text you later tonight then when I get a chance." With that, I logged off to take care of some chores around my house and the apartments. 

The whole afternoon I kept thinking of the way Rinai had smiled when I had agreed to text him tonight.