chapter 23

Chapter 23

There was an awkward silence as we both sat on the phone. What was she thinking? Would she reject me? Would she apologize for how she treated me and the father of my child? Would I be able to tell her that we were expecting a baby? Will she accept our child? All these questions came into my head as we sat silently on the phone. Finally, I broke the ice.

"How have you been momma?" I nervously asked her.

"Fine." was all she said.

I could tell by her cold tone that she was still angry with me. But I had to at least try to communicate with her. No matter how mad I was at her, I loved her. She gave me life.

"Where are you?" she asked. I was reluctant to tell her that I was with Dean staying at his parents' house.

"I am in L.A." was all I said.

"You are with "him" aren't you?" the malice in her voice sent a bitterly cold chill down my spine.

"Yes. Momma, we need to talk." I choked, trying to sound strong. Clearly, I was unsuccessful.

"As long as you are with that slave driver, we have nothing to talk about!" she stated coolly through the phone.

"Momma please don't be like this. We need to talk. Please." I pleaded with her.

"We will talk when you have come to your senses. Goodbye Nicole." and she hung up the phone.

I sat there looking at the screen on my phone, waiting for her to call back. How can she be so cold to her only child? I thought a mother's love was unconditional. Clearly it is not for her. And how can she hate Dean so much? A person who she barely said anything to, a man whom she humiliated.

I just don't understand. And if she hates him, then she would hate our child. And if that is the case, I don't want her anywhere near my child! If she can't accept the father, I do not want anything to do with her.

But how am I going to get through my pregnancy without her? My mother should be here giving me motherly advice. Encouraging me to finish school, while taking care of a child. But she doesn't know that I am pregnant. And I don't want her to know. I can do this on my own without her help. Rephrase that. Dean and I can do this without her.

I was so angry, and into my thoughts, that I hadn't noticed that Dean had come and sat by me. I slowly lifted my eyes to see him drying off his hair. He looked so sexy. His wet golden locks fell just above his forehead. His blue eyes looking at me with concern.

"You called her didn't you." he asked as he wiped off his chest. I was so distracted by his muscular form that I almost didn't hear him.

"Yes." I said as I tore my eyes from body.

"And by the way you look, it didn't go well huh?"

"No. She was completely unreasonable. She didn't want to hear anything I had to say. She said we didn't have anything to talk about until I was with you anymore."

I could feel the tears wanting to come, but forget that. I needed to feel my anger. I will never give in to her demands.

"Baby I am so sorry." Dean said as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders, pulling me into his chest.

"It is fine. Believe me. If she can't accept you, then good riddance. We are starting a family, and if she doesn't come around, then she will be the one missing out." I said angrily. " I am tired can we go home." I asked Dean.

"Sure baby. Let me pack up. You go ahead to the car." he said as he handed me the keys. I nodded, kissed him on the cheek, and got up to go to the car.