chapter 1

"Nikki! Are you home?" I heard my roommate Tracy scream as she barged through the front door of our house.

"I'm in the kitchen" I called to her. "Why are you yelling?"

I looked at Tracy and noticed she was acting strange. She seemed like she wanted to tell me something. "Ok out with it," I told her as I bit into an apple.

"Guess who I ran into today." I opened my mouth to answer, but she beat me to it. "I saw Bryan Clark. And girl, he was looking so damn good." Tracy said with a sigh.

Bryan Clark. The school's male whore. I have never liked the guy, although he was very handsome. So I am not surprised that he is still handsome now.

"That's um... Great Tracy. You act as if you have never seen the guy before." I laughed.

"Shut up punk. It was different this time. This time I actually talked to him. And he is coming over tonight to hangout" Tracy giggled like a schoolgirl with a crush. A crush that she has had since the beginning of freshman year.

"WHAT!!! Are you serious? Well, I'll be damn." I said to Tracy with a raised eyebrow. This could not be happening. I am hoping that this will not end badly as it did the last time her heart went biddy bum for him.

Tracy has had it bad for Bryan for about 2 years now. We were all incoming freshmen at Howard University. That's when I first meet her. I had just said my goodbyes to my parents who came with me to help me settle into my dorm room. It was bittersweet watching them leave to head back home. I was sad that they were leaving, but could not wait for them to leave so I could begin to enjoy my college experience. I was finally on my own. No parents to bug me and make me do chores, or keep me away from boys. As if boys were interested in me anyway.

I had trouble in the dating department. I was what one would call a plain Jane. At least in my eyes, I was. I thought I was average-looking. Not too tall, or too short. Had no sense of fashion whatsoever, except for I loved a good sneaker. My collection of sneakers was huge, from canvas shoes to high tops, you name it, I probably had it. And if I were being honest, I really didn't care how I looked because I was a hell of a lot smarter than everyone I knew. Or at least I would tell myself I didn't care. I was dark-skinned, with big brown eyes and big lips. I told myself I didn't care just to make myself feel better about not being seen as sexy during high school.

Missing my parents already, I tried to unpack. My dorm room was pretty bland. It had 2 twin beds. Each one in its own corner. The walls were a pearl white, two dressers that stood next to each bed, and brown shaggy carpet. It also had its own bathroom with a standup shower. Other than the two windows, the room was not very special.

As I placed my bedding on my bed. I started to wonder what my new roommate would be like. Would she be nice and quiet? Or would she be a total bitch. As if right on cue the door slowly opened. In walked a very pretty light-skinned girl with long black curly hair. She looked like she could be biracial. She was wearing a pink tank top and white shorts and pink flip-flops. She was tall with greenish-gray eyes, with hips that would put Shakira to shame.

"Hey, there roomy. I'm Tracy Jacobs. I see you're unpacking already. This bed must be mine then." she pointed to the bed on the left side of the room and smiled at me. She seemed warm and inviting. Friendliness rolled off of her in waves.

"Yes. I took this one. I hope you don't mind. If you want it I can switch with you."

"Girl no. I don't mind taking this one," she said throwing her suitcase on the bed. "So do you have a name roomy?" She looked over at me as she was opening her suitcase, smiling warmly.

"Yes, I do. I'm sorry. I'm Nicole Hamblen. But everybody calls me Nikki" I stated nervously.

I have never lived with anyone other than my parents. I hoped that we would get along. You hear horror stories of crazy roommates that stalk you and kill your dog while sleeping with your man. Although I didn't get the crazy vibe from her.