chapter 5

I braced myself against the kitchen counter trying to catch my breath. A trail of his cologne lingered in the space that we shared. I inhaled slowly. His musky cologne filled my nostrils. My head was still spinning from the whirlwind that is Dean Tomlinson. Oh my God, what just happened. I have never had a sensual kiss like that ever. And it felt so good. Do they all white guys kiss so passionately? The kiss was so primal, so full of want. Want for me? Doubt it. He was probably just trying to be nice. Do a favor for Bryan so could get in good with Tracy. As if he needed any help. Then again, he did ask me out for tomorrow. More like demanded. That stupid wine made my head feel fuzzy. My knees were still shaking as I made my way to the table to have a seat.

"Nikki I think I am in love." Tracy sang as she walked into the kitchen, breaking me from the trance I was in. Wow. Just a few short months ago she was cursing his name, now she is in love?

"Huh?" was all I could get out. I looked at Tracy as she raised her eyebrows at me. Oh no. She is going to ask a whole lot of questions.

"Oh my God Nikki. What the hell were you two doing in here?" she asked placing her hands on her hip as if she was a mother discovering her child doing something naughty.

"Nothing," I said trying to sound indifferent. I stood up and went back to cleaning the kitchen. Maybe if I pretended as if nothing happened, she will believe me. Who am I kidding, it is Tracy I am talking about. She will snoop and pry until she gets the answer.

"Bullshit. Your lips are all swollen, and you look as if you could hump the couch." As if she was registering what had happened, she let out a gasp and then she smacked me on the ass. "You bad girl. You kissed him, didn't you? And by the way, you look, it must have been some kiss."

"Stop it, Tracy, nothing happened really. He just kissed me." I tried to downplay it. "Oh, hell girl he really kissed me. Like my clothes almost fell off kind of kiss." I told her as I sat back down at the table and threw my head down on it.

"Really? I told you he liked you. And here you were worrying that he wouldn't find you attractive. He couldn't take his eyes off you." she said to me.

"He wants to take me to dinner tomorrow night." I groaned. My voice was muffled because I could not take my head off the table.

"Yes!!! And you're going, right?

"I don't know. I have never been on a date with a white man before. It might be awkward. And besides, he said no sneakers and you know that is all I wear. You know me, Tracy." I rambled on.

"Well obviously he likes you, and you like him. So go. What do you have to lose? And I will help you go shopping after class tomorrow. Spend some of your parents' hard-earned money." she laughed as she placed her hand on mine.

I could go shopping for new items. What should I wear? It is not like I have a wardrobe of really cute items to go on dates. I haven't been on a date in a while. Especially not with a man such as Dean. Tired of talking about myself, I focused my attention on Tracy and her rekindled love for Bryan.

"So you and Bryan were looking cozy, all up on each other."

"Oh, Nikki. He is so different from 2 years ago. He seems more caring and attentive. I really like him. We are going out tomorrow too. But I don't think we are going out with you and Dean. Oh but I would love to go with you guys." she beamed.

"Trust me I want you to go too. But somehow I don't think Dean would like that." I can't believe I was actually contemplating going out with him. What would people say when they saw us together? Maybe there will not be any problems. He seems totally fine with going out with someone of a different race. I think this might be my own hang-up.