"No! It's fine," he chuckles lightly, "I actually offered to come, I did promise to protect you after the, um, incident months ago."

A gentle smile spreads across my lips, in truth having him here set my nerves a bit at ease and my mind on a different track than worrying about what's going on outside. 

"I appreciate that," I say, causing his eyes to widen by a fraction. "Thank you."

He stares at me a little longer before turning his head away, mumbling something incoherent, I didn't miss the red tint that dusted his pale cheeks.

"So," Stella speaks up, shifting her eyes away from London to Susan who was sitting quite and a hit startled when her name was called out. "I hear your Abigail's brother's mate?"

Her head bobs, red curls swaying in her face before she moved them back. 

"How did you meet?"

She licks her lips before speaking. "He was assigned to my pack and help out with our warriors, I was bringing refreshments to the men after their training and that's when we met," she finished with flushed cheeks.

"Awh," Stella coos, and Sam gives a small smile that looks forced. "What do you guys plan to do later on down the road?"

"After everything is over with and settled, we decided to get our lives on track."

Sam suddenly shoots up from her spot on the couch, all eyes turning to her, eyes glaring at a distance over our heads. Stella follows her gaze and turns back to her with a frown.

"Are you okay?" she asks, rocking London.

Sam's eyes cut over towards me while she nods, gaze flickering to Susan and back to me.

"I'm fine, I just need a bit of fresh air," she responds. "Abigail, can I talk to you in the kitchen?"

My brows drift downward but I still nod, standing to my feet and following her back with a backward look at Stella who shrugs.

"You okay?" I ask once we moved to the far back of the kitchen, "You're acting weird."

Her hands wave in front of her face in a dismissive manner, ignoring my question, "You remember on your birthday when you brought that necklace to the packhouse?"

"Yes, I just have gotten it from Mason," I say, fiddling with the chain.

"Okay! Remember how I was sniffing it then saying there was a smell to it?"

I chuckle uneasily. "Yeah, and you were acting weird then. What going on, Sam?"

She was staring off into space again, a smile slowly making its way to her lips before her brown eyes collide with mine.

"It's so clear now, the smell from before and the smell coming off of Susan is making sense," she tells me, running both her hands through her hand, cupping her cheeks.

"What is?"

"I think I found my mate."

My eyebrows raise and my expression seems to make her smile grow. "What? Who?"

"I'm not sure but I think it's—"

A sharp, piercing scream shatters the air, echoing from outside into the house. We both freeze, Sam's sentence falling away as the air still and my skin tingles with awareness, hair standing tall.

"Who the hell was that?"

Sam shrugs before I maneuver around her and barrel back into the living room, everyone standing with stiff limbs, Susan looked white as a sheet, her limbs beginning to shake and Stella held London protectively to her chest.