19 ☼

Hey guys! Sorry for the long and abrupt pause in this book, I know that most of you guys were like, "Why isn't she uploading?!" Or "Please update!" Turns out that college is really a handful. Anyways, I've decided that I'll probably try to finish this book before the end of this year and to update sparingly. Here's part 19 & sorry again for the long wait! :)

Shawn shook his head thoughtfully as he exhaled a large amount of smoke into the cold, night air. Right now, everything in his life was going to shit.

Not only did he lose his friends, but he lost the one person who held him down from day 1. The one person who stayed with him, despite the danger he put them in. The one person who understood what he was going through and cared for him no matter his past; His babymother and girlfriend Moni.

    When Shawn left the house, he left everything; the memories, the love and support that he had, as well as his family. He was always out and about. Not wanting to spend money on a hotel, he stayed in his Mustang, which was often parked in an abandoned lot, and endured many sleepless nights.

    After hearing from the streets that his sadistic brother was alive and wanted to exact his revenge on him, he had no choice but to keep a low profile. The last thing he wanted to happen was to die at the hands of his sick and twisted family member.

    Despite all of the shit that Shawn was going through, he wasn't going to surrender easy. It wasn't his time to go and he was going to make sure of it.

    Shawn sat on the yellow parking barrier that was in front of his Mustang. As he tapped the end of his blunt to drop a couple of ashes, he took another hit and closed his eyes. So many thoughts were running through his head.

     Opening his eyes, Shawn noticed an outline of a short, stocky man standing behind the fence that encased the parking lot he was in.
Not thinking anything of it, he continued to enjoy his blunt, taking a couple more hits.

     Looking up, he noticed that the figure was still standing there, not making any movement. Shawn swallowed hard as his stomach began to churn and a lump started to form in his throat.

    This can't be good, he thought to himself as he finished his blunt and threw the end into the ground.

    As soon as he stood up and dusted himself off, Shawn looked into the distance and noticed that the figure suddenly began to climb the fence and hop over it. The unknown man began sprinting in Shawn's direction.

    Without hesitation, Shawn quickly opened his car door and hopped in. Before starting up the Mustang, he pressed the button that automatically locked all the doors and threw the car in reverse. Looking in the rear view mirror, he saw the figure getting closer and noticed that he had a gun in his right hand.
Shawn stepped on the gas and sped out of the parking lot and onto the main road, leaving the man behind in a cloud of exhaust.

     Jon stomped his timbs on the hard concrete and cursed loudly in frustration. "FUCK! I keep letting this fuck ass nigga get away."

    Sucking his teeth, he walked back to the fence where he hopped over it and made his way over to his Dodge Charger.

     Jon was going to catch his brother slipping. All he had to do was be patient and lie in wait.

~~

     Shawn kept driving until he was on the interstate and knew that he was as far away from the person as possible. He knew that Jon was out to get him, he just didn't think it would be so soon. Either way, he wasn't going to let it happen.

    So deep in his thoughts, Shawn didn't hear his phone vibrating against the passenger seat. Moni was calling.

    After being alone for a while, she missed her man. Despite the shit that he did to her, she could never see herself living or raising their child without him. Moni has been holding him down for so long, and to let him go was something she wasn't going to ever do.

     On the other end, she sighed as his phone went to voicemail.

     "He's probably not in the mood to speak to me," she whispered to herself as a tear streamed down her cheek. "Or maybe he's moved on." She started to softly cry.

     Up ahead, there was a slight traffic. A car collided into another one and it was just a huge mess. Shawn knew that he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon so he picked up his phone.

    Quickly glancing at the lock-screen, he noticed that he had a missed call from Moni.
A small smiled appeared on his face and his whole mood changed. Maybe we could work things out, he thought to himself as he pressed her name and called back.

     Shawn was anxious as the phone rang for a little minute. After the 3rd ring, Moni picked up the phone. There was a little bit of shuffling in the background before she faintly answered. "Hello?"

     "Hey baby," Shawn said, with a little bit of confidence in his voice. "I really miss you, man."

    "Really? Why?"

     "I can't be without you, I just can't bruh. You've been holding a nigga down since day one. You've done nothing but give me constant love and affection, something I never grew up with. Without you, I'm nothing. You complete me. Together, we a whole. I'm sorry for all the shit that I've put you through, I'm sorry for the many strains that I've put on our relationship, but I want to work it out with you. If I can't be with you, I'd rather die bruh. On my momma. I'm done with hustling, I'm done with the streets, all of that. I'm here for you and Harmony."

     On the other end, Moni began to faintly cry, but it was out of happiness. He truly loved and cared for her and it was obvious.

     Shawn frowned and started to worry. "What's wrong Moni?"

     In between her sobs, Moni spoke incoherently. "I-I love you so-so much baby. I never w-wanna lose you, ever. I've been holding y-you down for a long ass time. I don't want shit to fall apart. Don't ever l-l-leave me and Harmony alone. Please come home."

     "I'm never finna leave you, girl. I'm always gonna be here for my girls and that's a promise I'm always gonna keep from now on. And I'm coming home."

     Moni wiped her tears and smiled. "Good, I'll be waiting for you. I love you."

     "I love you too," Shawn replied as he pressed the red button on his phone, ending the call. He turned right onto the oncoming exit and went in the direction of his home.

     Within 30 minutes, Shawn was parked in the driveway. As he opened the door and placed one foot out, he quickly glanced all around him, making sure that everything was peachy.

     He stepped out of the car and locked it. As he made his way towards the door, he heard it unlock and slightly creak open.

     On the other side was a grinning Moni. She was wearing a long, white t-shirt, black shorts and white knee high socks. Her hair was curled down to her back and she had on reading glasses. She was looking real cute. Shawn loved it when she dressed down.

     Unable to hold in his happiness and excitement, he picked her up and gave her the biggest hug. As Shawn enveloped his arms around her body, Moni instinctively wrapped her legs around his waist and his arms around his neck. She nuzzled her head into his neck and cried a little bit.

     Shawn looked down at her and kissed her forehead. "Baby, don't cry. I'm here and will always be here."

     He walked them in and closed the door, leaving all of his problems behind him and in the outside world.