Four

Monty's P.O.V

Swinging my arm across to my nightstand I slammed my alarm off, groaning as I ran my fingers through my hair.  A wave of excitement rushed over me as I remembered what I had planned for the day.

I'd left Claire in charge of the club for the day so that I could visit the coffee shop. And more importantly so I could visit Oscar. I didn't know what it was about him but I found him captivating, he just seemed real and I guess I had grown tired of only being around people who were paid to be there.

That's why I lied about my job. I knew I shouldn't have done it, healthy relationships of any kind should never be based on lies. But I wanted him to see me, not my business and money. All I knew was I enjoyed spending time with him and that taking on this 'new' identity felt adventurous. A fresh change from the monotonous life of a business man.

A spectrum of warm colours poured through my window as the sun began rising over the city; pinks, reds and oranges scaling the skyscrapers and buildings. Being able to watch the sun rise, the moon and stars dissolve away and a new day begin reminded me that every day is a fresh start.

As the city awoke from its slumber I went about my morning routine. I showered, shaved and slipped into a crisp, white button up shirt with black trousers and a thick trench coat. Disappointment rained over me when I noticed dark, black clouds rolling into the space above the tallest buildings.

I hated rain. It almost seemed to just wash all colour out of New York, it flushed streets performers, stalls and hagglers down the drains and made people prisoners in the one bedroom flats they could barley afford. It cleansed the city of all creativity.

Overly cheesy music seemed to echo through the elevator as I made my long journey down to the ground floor. I tried to push the thought that Oscar wouldn't be out today because of the weather to the back of my mind. I just needed to see him.

Realising that you've dedicated your life to business instead of people really has it's toll on you. I knew if I were to tell people in my life right now that I wanted to start taking more time for myself, meet new people and try and enjoy life that they'd just put it down as a midlife crisis. If you choose to join their world you need to be prepared for cold, emotionless void your life is supposed to become.

When the lift doors opened I was greeted with the polished reception of my apartment block, marble floors stretched out as far as I could see and a cherry red carpet lead from the front doors to the reception desk.

The man behind this desk was Simon, an older gentlemen who had worked there most of his life watching young, rich entrepreneurs come and go.

"Morning Simon, looks like we're in for some nasty weather again. Mind if I wait here until my cab shows up?" I asked him cheerily, joining him at the front desk as I leant up against it.

"Of course not Monty! You know I miss our morning chats, so how come you're not scurrying off to work today? That club of yours finally finished I'm guessing." He chuckled, shooting me the friendly smile that I had grown to love.

When the club was merely a whimsical fantasy and I still worked for my father I had more time to myself admittedly. Each morning Simon and I would discuss our previous day, he'd tell me about his two daughters that lived out on the outskirts of the city, how he'd call and check up on them and send them money when he could. It's surprising how much you can learn about someone's life from a five minute conversation each morning.

"Oh I wish, it's still not just right." I admitted, knowing that in reality the club would never be perfect in my eyes. Not that I saw that as a bad thing, it just meant I had something I could always go back to, always change and improve on. In some way my club had become my family and it was my responsibility to raise it right.