14. Falling

Kendall has a private with one of our instructors, Angela. Unlike Abby's studio, there's nowhere you can sit and watch classes going on. I go to the front, and sit at the receptionist's desk with Jolene, one of the new instructors. She smiles at me. "Hey, Vivi!"

I sit down beside her and do some of my math homework. Being homeschooled is a bore. It means that you have to do work, even on weekends. Jolene smiles and looks at my work. "Analytical Geometry and Systems of Equations... sounds cool." she says, sounding a bit confused. I'm used to the dance teachers not understanding my math homework by now. I wouldn't blame them. I'm at a grade 10 math level. Online homeschooling is the best.

The phone rings, and Jolene picks it up. "Hello, this is Jolene at Candy Apples Dance Center, how may I help you?"

I hear a familiar voice. It's Abby!

"Hi, I wanted to speak to Cathy Nesbitt- Stein, please? Tell her it's an urgent matter."

Jolene nudges me. "Go get her right now," she whispers to me, turning back to the phone. "Just a second, please."

I run to my mom's office. "Mom, phone! It's Abby!"

She picks up the phone on the connecting line. "Cathy Nesbitt- Stein, who's speaking?"

She nods. "Okay." I can't hear whatever Abby's saying on the phone.

"Are you sure? Really, it's not a big deal." she says, frowning.

"We can move on."

"You're missing a lot right now, I'm just telling you."

"See you on Saturday!" She hangs up, sighing.

"Mom, what is it?" I ask nervously.

Mom frowns at me. "Vivi... Abby is kicking you off the team."