23: STEALTH

"What are doing?"

Jae Kyung's head rose up from the pie she was cutting to look at Jeonghan. He was already dressed for work with his white long sleeve polo and black slacks. He's not wearing his usual Armani suit and necktie that would match his slacks.

He's unusually late today. He would always leave the house before seven in the morning.

"Good morning!" She greeted and let go of the slicing knife and went to her ever confused husband while smiling.

She tiptoed and boldly kissed him on his lips — which made his eyebrows rise up in surprise. She just did it now — she kissed him on the lips. A thing that she never did and he's the one always doing that.

"I made apple pie for breakfast."

She made that last night while waiting for Jeonghan.

"It's good. You want some?"

He was looking at her with a studying face.

"Why?" She asked him because of his stare.

"Did you sleep well last night?"

She nodded. "Hmm. How about you?" She could see how his eyes reddened. He looked ragged and rough with his unshaven chin but he still managed to look so ravishing.

She caressed his cheeks. "Did you sleep well? It seems like you've been up all night."

He didn't answer. He remained looking at her as if he's scrutinizing her and until she could feel his hand on hers.

He looked at her fingers and her nails and she watched his brow knotted together. Without speaking still, he then rolled her sleeves up and muttered something incoherent when he exposed the red marks on her arm. They still sting a little bit, but it doesn't hurt much just like when she woke up.

She tried not to flinch when he gently gripped her fingers but she failed. Her nails still hurt.

"You idiot." He hissed as he slid her a grimly disapproving look. "Why are you wearing long sleeves when your wounds are not healed yet? Your nails hurt and yet you're here slicing pies? And why are you up this early morning? You're supposed to be on your bed, resting."

A playful smile was teasing her lips, that's why she bit her lips to stop herself from smiling. She was quite enjoying the way he's treating her. She felt like a kid getting scolded, but she knows Jeonghan's not really angry He was just . . . worried.

"What, you think it's funny?"

"It's so early and you're already giving me that face. I'm okay. It's not that painful. So, I think you should it while the apple pie's still hot."

He caught her arm and pulled her back, whirling her around before she bumped onto his solid, hard chest in a gentle thud.

She tilted her head so she could take a look at him properly. His angry eyes were suddenly curious now as they played closely across her face.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

She tried to smile softly at him. "Jeonghan, I'm okay. These are just scratches. They'll eventually heal by tomorrow. That's why you don't need to worry much. Hmm?"

His lips formed into a thin line. "I was worried sick last night, that's why I can't worry about what happened."

"Happened? Why, what happened last night?"

She saw how his brows furrowed. "You don't remember?"

"I don't . . . know. When I woke up, I'm already wearing your shirt. And my arms sting." She said. "Did you go inside my room last night?"