53: CONSTANCY

Jae Kyung went home that night, tired. She could hardly move her feet to climb upstairs to her room, to think she just stayed inside a kitchen for the past eight hours, cooking, baking and eating. She didn't expect to handle so many friends before the actual opening of the restaurant.

And that talk with Nauen this morning drained a bit of her energy. Thinking is more exhausting than physical work.

She immediately called Lin when she put the car key at the key hook. She wants to tell her not to cook for dinner anymore since she already ate at the restaurant. She just wants to go up to her room, lay in bed and sleep.

She was shrugging her coat off when she heard Lin in the connecting door of the kitchen and the living room. She could hear her sighing and when she came to look, she was talking at the telephone.

She was going to ignore her but she turned to her with a surprise look and immediately put down the phone. "Ma'am!"

Her brows creased. "Are you okay?"

"Y — yes, Ma'am! I'm okay."

"Who are you talking to?"

"Ah, wrong number."

"Okay . . ." She nodded while walking back to the living room. But she was not convinced though. But she didn't push through the topic. She trusts Lin. She won't do crazy stuffs behind her back. Besides, if that who called was her suitor, then she's out of the business.

"Ah, Ma'am, will I prepare for dinner?" Lin asked her when she's climbing up the stairs.

"You can prepare fro yours only. I already ate at the restaurant."

"Ah, okay, Ma'am."

Weird. She looks nervous when she stared at her.

She's not plotting to elope or something, is she?

Jae Kyung just shook her head, brushing the thought away. She's too tired to even think about that. She climbed up to her room and got ready for sleep. She has a lot of things to finish tomorrow. She's close to opening the restaurant. A little bit more . . .

A little more push and she'll get there. She will move on, she will be happy and everything will be alright again. They will be.

She suddenly woke up the next morning. Because of tiredness, she's not sure if she's already awake or dreaming. It's been happening a lot since the past few days. Sometimes, she's tiring herself out so that she could sleep at night. Sometimes, it doesn't also work out.

She heard soft movements and footfall, as if this person was afraid the noise might wake her. She stirred lightly. She wants to open her eyes to check who was it but her eye lids were too heavy to do so. She felt so tired she wants to go back to sleep.

And then she smelled it. That yummy smell of fresh biscuits and hot chocolate. Her stomach suddenly churned.

Is she dreaming?

She opened her eyes and then rubbed them. It was still a bit dark inside her room and she's not sure on what she saw. For a while, she thought she saw someone leaving. Then she heard the door closed.

"Lin?" She called in a broken voice while trying to get off her bed. She reached for the switch of her lampshade but when it lit up the whole room, no one was there.

Strange. It looked taller than Lin. And it looked like a man's silhouette.

She turned to look at her bedtime clock and it's still 5:40 in the morning. SThen she looked at the food near the lampshade. It's a tray with biscuits, oatmeal cookies, vegetable sandwiches, and a small hot chocolate. Foods she craves at times.