‘Well I guess I’ll just have to find out from Elisha.’ I sigh. We went through an awkward lunch since I was apparently being a “stubborn bitch”. Before I knew it we were back to our second maths lesson of the day.

‘Into groups of 2 please, we’re gonna do a little activity.’ The teacher says. Dontae was by my side in an instant. I groan inwardly but couldn’t help the small happy feeling inside of me. We all had been given different tasks to do within the lesson then the teacher just walked out, saying she was going to the staff room. She hadn’t come back for 15 minutes.

‘How do you do Loci?’ I had to ask after 10 minutes of attempting to do it by myself in silence. He explains it to me and I manage to communicate with him in order to finish this maths activity.

‘Work experience is on Monday innit?’ He asks. I nod. ‘What time do you finish every day?’

‘4.’

‘Ahh, I finish at 5 then I gotta trek home.’ He says. ‘I wanted to meet you after work.’

‘Okay.’ I say. He sighs before looking at me. I bit my lip to stop me laughing. He looked like he was gonna cry. He put his hand on my thigh, under the table, and I froze.

‘Jay, talk to me.’ He says softly moving his hand up and down my thigh.

‘I-I am.’ I stutter. His lips curl up into a small smile as he realises the effect he was having on me.

‘You’re acting off with me.’ His hands go a little bit higher and my body tenses once again.

‘I’m not.’ I reply quietly.

‘Prove it.’ I frown as his voice became quieter.

‘How?’ I ask in confusion.

‘Gimme a kiss.’ I give him a deliberate look before leaning in. When I was a few centimeters away from his lips, I stop and pull his hand off my lap.

‘Idiot. You’re not forgiven yet.’ I kiss my teeth and continue working. He laughs and pecks my cheek. The teacher entered the classroom at the end of the lesson and collected our work. I groaned in frustration as I realise I would have to go to meet Elisha with Dontae.

‘We’re going to her house, yeah?’ He says as we leave school.

‘Where does she live?’ I ask.

‘Near her school.’ I nod. I was quiet the whole journey there, wondering what could be so big that required Dontae to act all secretive. When we got to their house, 30 minutes later, she opened her door wearing her uniform.

‘Hi.’ She smiles nervously. I don’t reply as she lets us in. ‘Do you guys want a drink or something?’

‘Listen, can you just get to the point please. I didn’t come to have a chat.’ I say impatiently.

‘Alright.’ She nervously glanced at Dontae. ‘Alright…’ She sighed deeply before starting. ‘There was this boy called CJ, known him basically my whole life. We used to be a couple but we broke up after I got pregnant.’ I stared at her, not sure I wanted to hear anymore. ‘He didn’t believe it was his since I cheated on him, with Dontae, but it was CJ’s. The dates added up. Do you know what the worst thing was? The fact that I had conceived this baby through CJ raping me, and he still didn’t believe me. Anyway, I told him when I was 5 months gone, I managed to hide it for a while but I had to tell him. I gave birth in November last year and I kept my baby, Jeremiah. The first few weeks all I did was cry. My baby had been denied by his dad and my family disowned me. That’s when I started talking to Dontae, he helped me. Then, 2 months ago…CJ came back into my life..’ Her eyes teared up as she glanced at Dontae.