Part Eleven: Bloodlines

I sat on the small sofa with Steven to my left, listening to the conversation between the Alphas and the council members. In all honesty, I wasn't completely paying attention; only enough to know what was going on.

Harold was talking about how our pack was coming along, if the wolves were getting along, all that jazz.

Kiro simply nodded his head while Harold spoke, and sent me a wink every so often. Lander kept glancing at me, then back at the Alphas.

It was nerving being in his presence. If anyone could figure out who I was, it was him. He was the only one to notice my hair. Most assumed that it was dyed, but he knew the white hair was natural.

I loved my hair, but I hated that I got it from my mother. Even though she is six feet under, she still finds a way to screw me over. I don't remember a time when I thought my mother truly cared for me. I spent my life getting beaten til I was on the brink of death, then she'd stop and let me heal for the day. My body tenses as a wave of memories roll through me.

I sometimes wished I knew who my father was. Maybe he would've saved me from her daily punishments. Maybe my three brothers she told me about would've protected me from her. Or maybe, they wouldn't care.

A waving hand in front of my face brings me from my thoughts. I look to see everyone staring at me, Lander staring more harshly than the others

"Sorry" I apologized

Rush cleared his throat, "what is the real reason you are here?" He asked the councilmen. It didn't suprise me that Rush knew all of this was small talk leading up to the main issue. No matter how much I hate to admit, Rush is actually a smart man.

Kiro spoke, "we have a problem. A wolf has been going around terrorizing packs, looking for something." His eyes searched the room nervously, as if he was waiting for something to attack him. I sat straight at his nervous behavior, why would a councilman be so nervous? He is stronger than the usual wolf.

"What are they looking for?" Samuel quickly glanced at me, probably thinking the same as I. The room growing tense, I don't like it.

"A key," Harold whispered. The quiet and timid behavior was a drastic change from the strong and stern tone from before.

My thoughts then went back to what he said, a wolf looking for a key? What key?

Rush voiced my question.

Lander scanned the room, "We don't know what key they are looking for, just that they are looking for one,"

Kiro then spoke, "the wolf has killed 48 pack members from four different packs. We need this handled"

Harold nodded in agreement.

Kiro continued, "Alpha Samuel, Alpha Rush, you two are the leaders of the two strong packs. We believe you are the right pick for the job"

Rush and Samuel exchanged a look with both Steven and I. This all seemed so....weird. A wolf strong enough to kill that many wolves, and that strikes fear into the council, they have to be from a strong bloodline. Rush accepted the councils offer after gauging our expressions. I could tell that we were all more curious of who the wolf was than being fearful of them like the council.

Soon the three old men where leaving our territory, but not before Lander shot me a glance. I held his gaze for a moment, the wolf within me refused to back down. His eyebrows shot up in suprise at my blatant disrespect, but I could not stop her. He then turned his back and caught up with the other two.

Why would you do that! I scold my wolf. She simply gave a huff and ignored me. A breath escapes me as I know I have just given Lander further evidence of who I am. First, the unnatural hair color, and now the dominance that my wolf pushes to have. At times, she even oozes her dominance when she feels Alpha Samuel has disrespected her.

Thankfully, after many conversations of how Samuel has saved us, she has calmed down and let him be the Alpha he was chosen to be.

Please goddess, don't let them see the real me, I sent a silent prayer into the sky. If they find out who I am, I'll be killed like the rest of my bloodline.

I begin to walk out the door with only one thought left in my head, I have to find Walker.