[2] hope.

“I'm so proud of you, Naia! To think that for a young age you managed to lead the rescue of a company’s CEO!”

My demeanor turned grim as I gazed blankly at the sight, clenching my fists which completely crumpled the piece of paper I was holding.

I couldn’t understand why mom had to adopt another child. But I guess she might have felt lonely, watching me grow up so quickly. Naia, being four years younger than me, I treated her as my own little sister. Her being the youngest, means she would get more attention than me. Yes, that’s it. The youngest needs more guidance.

Yeah, keep telling that to yourself. Nagisa, you fool.

“Soon, you will grow into a fine smart lady like myself! You deserve the best award! How about a movie date with mommy, huh?”

My eyes were locked at them as I recalled the contents of the paper I was holding.

Mrs. Shiota,

       Greetings! I’m honored to inform you that your child, Shiota Nagisa has shown excellent academic skills which earned her a full scholarship at Kunugigaoka Tri-Branch Institute and of course, for being one of the top notchers of the National Mock Examinations.

       We hope for your enthusiastic response!

Sincerely yours,
Asano Gakuho
(Board Chairman and School Director)

Mom never took me out on a movie before nor she praised me for all the contests I’ve won. That she never showed up.

Oh, and that rescue? I was the one who found that CEO. The abandoned building had an old but functioning CCTV so I managed to trace their location by the recent clip. Not that anyone would know, because no one really cared.

Atleast give me some credit, dammit...

—•—

“Nagisa, be a man and carry my daughter’s bags.”

“Boy, how dare you make my daughter wait! Hurry now!”

“You bastard, why the hell are you fitting my daughter’s clothes?! Come here now and start acting like a real guy!”

Okay, I didn’t mind when I was being treated like I was inexistent. I didn’t mind when I was isolated from my own family. And I certainly didn’t mind when I never received any good from my works.

Keyword: didn’t.

And all I hoped was to be acknowledged...

“Ha,” a bitter chuckle escaped from my mouth as tears started falling from my eyes. “What did I do to deserve this?”

Mom turned around and raised a brow, still clinging to her beloved daughter. “What is it again, Nagisa?! If this is one of your shinanigans then stop it this instance! Me and my daughter have no time for drama, you wench!”

“Then can you spare me even a second of your precious time?” People started to gather around but I don’t give a damn. “You keep on doing this! You kept on neglecting my presence in this family! Why do you see me so low?! Am I not that important to you?!”

She scoffed and embraced Naia in her arms. “Who gave you the right to speak to me like that?! I gave birth to you! I bathed, fed, clothed, and raised you with my own hands and this is what you will give to me in return?! How ungrateful!” she exclaimed hysterically, crying fake tears to gain sympathy over the crowd. “Naia dear, don’t use that bad man as an example hmm?”

Naia smiled innocently, remaining blind to my mother’s sick impression. I hate that smile. I’ve hated her all along. Who ever knew?

“For pete’s sake, are you serious?! I gave you my entire high school life to give back your efforts, mom! What did she ever achieved that I haven’t?!” I yelled, reminiscing all my wasted efforts. “I am a top notcher, she isn’t! I achieved local and international awards from contests you didn’t even bother to bat an eye at! Did I mention that one university you never got to enter just offered me a full scholarship?! No? Oh, SORRY because you paid the chancellor to give the damn privilege to your dearest Naia!”

I clenched my fists as my tears never stopped falling. “I tipped the police about the location of that CEO which would have never lost his son if they only listened! But no, you just have to bring that child on the picture! What does she have that I don’t?! What makes her so special that you’ve left me behind?!”

Maybe it was the fact that I looked like my father. Maybe it’s the fact that she wanted a male first born. Or maybe she just hates me for being everything she’s not.

Damn.

“I just want attention. I want you to acknowledge me.” I turned away from them muttering, “To tell you what, mom? I was your daughter. Not until Naia took that title away too.

—•—

People say you can’t see yourself on boiling water just as how you can’t satisfy yourself on the midst of anger. But the water couldn’t have boiled itself, right? It needs ignition, a reason to be rippled, and an action to be triggered.

I was that calm water. But then the fire swallowed that calmness and destroyed me. And I will do anything to bring that peace back.

“Miss, are you going to jump too?”

On cue, my foot stood frozen halfway from dragging myself along the fall from the bridge. My peripheral vision caught sight of a guy with blue hair with a similar shade of mom’s who bears the same position as me.

“Are you sick of this world as well?”

Hearing his voice for the second time, I want to punch him. I hate the fact that he got here before me. I thought that this was the day I’d finally get some rest. But for some reason, I ended up listening to his woes before I could realize.

“Tell me, Sugino...”