IV

Tatum's POV
..
Red eyes. That's the first thing I see. As the massive oak doors open, the North, that was engulfed in shadows, is flooded with a single ray of light. But to anyone without trained eyes, that's all one would notice. However, as a result of years of training in combat, I tend to pick up on smaller details.

In the shadows, I see them. Two little eyes, glowing with red. Watching us. I know the others have seen them because in my split moment of hesitation, Tillie has pulled out her throwing knives, spinning them through her fingers, and Isaac has his gun loaded and aimed directly at the eyes. I look back at the eyes, unslinging my bow and fitting an arrow in the string. I raise my bow and pull back the arrow as the eyes blink then disappear. I hear Tillie gasp from beside me, and I lift my bow ever so slightly, trying to find the source of the red eyes from before.

A shadow begins to form at our feet, stretching as the item comes closer. I squint, trying to find the source. That's when I see it. A body. Walking towards us. The body walks forward and stops just before the ray of moonlight, spilled across the Tarps, catches them.

Watching them carefully, I keep my bow poised. The eerie silence of the night and the breathing of the bodies around me being the only thing I hear.

They take one more step forward. The light illuminated the body as I realise it's a girl. And a little one at that. Her petite frame watches us as we take her in. Her flame orange hair sitting just below her shoulders frames her light face, covered in little freckles. Her arms rest at her side, palms facing us. I tilt my head slightly as I realise she is weaponless. A realisation hits me as I remember this is the girl with the red eyes a moment ago. My eyes flick to hers and I gasp. Her eyes were in fact light blue. Not red. I gasp and look at Isaac to find him watching me. He nods his head to confirm what I was thinking.
She was altered. Just like us.