I

(15 years later)
Tillie's POV
..
My name is Tillie Arden. I am sixteen years old. My home is the East. East of the Districts. The destroyed Districts. I am alive. And the Void is after me. But I am alive... and I am genetically altered.
Under my breath, I repeat this. She says it's stupid. A waste of time. But it helps me remember who I am. That even though the Void is after us, we have managed to escape their clutches once more.
"Tillie." Tatum hisses at me under her breath. I know I need to be quite. Ever since the Void cornered us last week, Tatum, Isaac and I were on the run. We were now targets.
The silvery light given off from the moon filters through the canvas tarps which we now rest under. The night is silent except for the scuttle of rats and the slow, rhythmic breathing, sourced from the few people bunking around me.
These camps are put up especially for people like us. Tarps are set up for shelter and canned food is given out. They move every three nights. With the Void after us, we can't afford to spend more than that amount of time in one place. It's too risky. Besides if they find us, their only motive is to kill.
..
A high pitched scream cut through the silenced night like a knife. The clicking came next. Startling awake in gasps I try to be as quiet as possible. Grabbing my small backpack, I place my small throwing knives in my belt, alongside my gun.
Without hesitation I break into a slow run, leaning down in order to stay covered among the other people. I run through the tarps, taking a left turn at the water, right at the hole, all the while controlling my breathing.
The fog is already starting to thicken around my ankles and I scold myself for slipping into such deep sleep. Hearing the clicking grow louder I reach for my belt and feel the cool metal of my knives on my fingers as I slip two in my hands. Keeping an alert eye out, I fasten my pace and continue towards our meeting place.
..
"Tillie what took you so long come on let's go," Isaac says to me in a hushed voice before turning to Tatum who stands ahead of him, signalling that we need to go.
Another scream echoes through the muffled silence as the Void make their next kill. The dreaded clicking of their movements fill the already tense atmosphere with fear as the ghostly white fog licks at our knees.
Tatum leading the way, we run through the tarps once more, making our way to the gates, praying they haven't already been locked.
..
The fourth scream rips out and echos through the East, this one closer than the last. The Void was making its way around quickly. Too quick. Pumping my arms quicker I sprint alongside Isaac, willing to be as far away from here as possible.
Tatum pulls to a stop in front of the gates and knocks thrice, once and three times again. The old oak doors of the Arc that stand as a border between every Section creak open, allowing us to slip through.
We continue to run past the gates, in rhythmic patterns with the still evident clicking of the Void behind us. Finding a shadowed corner and panting hard, we regroup to consider our options,
"The North and South are the only Sections left." Tatum states dimly, teaching into her rucksack for her water,
"I suggest we head North," Isaac replies in between breaths, running a hand through his dark brown hair, "it's closer and that way we can replenish sooner."
They both look to me to take the final vote,
"North." I simply state, receiving a nod in return from Tatum from which Isaac takes as a cue to take the lead.
..