~Chapter Fourteen~

Start from the beginning

I glanced at Shayne, and he gave me a reassuring look. "I'm sure everything is fine." He held my hand, as we walked to Mr. Carrington's old study.

We were all seated and my leg was shaking nervously, as I was on edge.

"Sabine, I rushed here from London with some important news. I'll get straight to the point. The man that you were dating, Skyler Pennington, has connections to Winthrop Oil. He was dating you, and my niece Astrid to find out how Carrington Enterprises was fairing." His eyes were burning with anger.

He paused momentarily. "Your blind date was set up as a ruse. He needed a way to get close to you, because you worked for Carrington Enterprises. You are close friends with my daughter, Bianca, and became Shayne's financial assistant. When he couldn't get information from you—he took an interest in Astrid. She didn't know anything about the company, so he dumped her and went back to you."

Shayne was leaning on the wall beside my chair. He came and stood next me, putting his hands on my shoulders. "Did you happen to tell Skyler anything about Carrington Enterprises?" He was trying to be sensitive in the way he questioned me, but I saw his jaw muscles tightening. He never liked Skyler to begin with.

"Remember when we ran into you at the Mexican restaurant, on Friday? I told Skyler, that Carrington Enterprises was celebrating the innovative ideas you had. And that the company was seeing financial gains." My hand flew to my mouth, when I realized I shouldn't have divulged that information to him.

Shayne bent down, and looked me directly in the eyes. "It's okay, you didn't know what he was up to. We'll figure it out from here."

"Andrew, what do you propose we do now?" Brody looked worried.

"I think we should have Sabine continue to date Skyler, and keep passing on information. Only, it won't be the current financial gains. And not Shayne's new plans of strategy, making us contenders again." He sat back in his chair calmly, and winked at all of us.

Grey stood with his hand underneath his chin, absorbing this plan. "I think that is a brilliant idea. I agree with Andrew."

"I don't like it!" Shayne spoke bluntly.

"Why not?" Colin and Shayne exchanged an unspoken look between each other.

"I don't want to force Sabine into dating this imbecile, after he hurt her. Now, for her to find out that he was using her all along. . . it's not right. There has to be another way," Shayne blew out a frustrated breath, and ran his hands threw his short brown tresses at the nape of his neck.

"Listen Shayne, if there was another way we wouldn't have Sabine do this. You have to put your personal feelings aside. Andrew is right, this is the only way. We don't want to tip our hand to Philip Winthrop and let him know that we're doing good. Let him think we are a sinking ship. Then pow, we come out of nowhere," Colton spoke with conviction.

Shayne stood rigid, with his lips in a thin line. "At least ask Sabine how she feels."

Bianca entered the room without knocking. "I'm sorry, I was listening outside of the door. I had to come in, and find out how my friend feels about all of this. Sabine, do you think you can go ahead with this plan? It's a lot finding out that Skyler has been using you—all along. Men, don't understand matters of the heart," she took my hand in hers and looked at me questioningly.

Grey paced the room, with his hands in his pants pockets. "Will you do this, Sabine?"

I was very uneasy. "Yes, I'll date Skyler and give him the misinformation," I put my head down and was unsure.

"I'll coach you. . .we'll go over the numbers from some of our old financial reports. I will keep my eye on you. I don't like this guy. The minute he tries something crazy, she's done!" Shayne was adamant and no one argued with him.

I loved seeing how he cared about me. I wasn't sure what he was thinking. This whole situation is a nightmare.

"Agreed! You should call Skyler tonight and act nonchalant. Make dinner plans with him for this week, and we'll set our plan in motion." Andrew poured himself a drink.

As he was downing the amber liquid, a thought occurred to Andrew. "I think it would be best if Shayne and Sabine had very limited association outside of work. I know you two have started down a new path together, but for now, you are employer and employee."

Shayne's whole body tensed as his eyes probed mine, but he spoke to Andrew. "Respectfully, I will agree to disagree. The relationship that I have formed with Sabine is between she and I. It's enough that she has to date that creep, Skyler. But if she ever needs me outside of work, I will be there for her." Shayne punched the wall, as he left the room and did not look back.

Everyone knew that Shayne didn't agree. My heart was lost to him right then, and right there. I was finding it hard not to fall for him.

I was pensive and not at all sure how this would work out, with having to date Skyler again. I was so hurt that he chose Astrid, over me. Now, I find out he was only dating me to get information on Carrington Enterprises. He never really liked me.

Now, I'm getting to know Shayne. To be honest, I don't know what to call our relationship. Just when the tide was changing, I got sucked back in the ocean. . . .

Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️