Chapter 25: An Unforgettable Feeling

Song: Wonderful - Lianne La Havas

Five Years later...

Elizabeth Clarke's POV

I'm standing in the office of my school's secretary to collect my student list for this upcoming school year. August isn't the month that brings my joyful summers to an end, it's November. November is the month my life changed before my eyes when a certain brunette walked into my classroom for the first time.

"Do you need someone to show you around?" I hear the counsellor ask. There must be a new teacher joining our team this year. Mrs King retired this spring so I guess it's her replacement.

"Nope, I'm an alumni. Thank you." Wow, that voice. It sounds like hers, but maybe a little more mature. I should stop thinking about her. I've been telling myself the same sentence for the past five years since she walked out of my life.

"Here's your qued students Elizabeth." The secretary pulls me from my self pitying thoughts and hands the list to me. I thank her and leave the office, trying to sneak a glance at the new teacher but failing. She's already gone.

I walk down the hall, reading every name on the list and trying to memorise them. I always try to remember every name even though there's over one hundred on this list. Students already have it hard enough in this school so I figure having at least one person who cares about them will help. I strive to be that person for everyone.

Since she left, the school has changed drastically. After many complaints from parents, we received a completely new administration team. Those people have put in a zero tolerance on bullying and when they say zero tolerance, they mean zero tolerance. Unlike some schools who just put unruly kids in detention and hope the problem will be solved (it never is), they put those kids into a special class here at school where they stay until they learn to respect themselves and by default, others. It's worked perfectly for the past three years.

They want to make sure that what happened to her, doesn't ever happen again here. Mistreating someone for expressing who they are is on the top of the list of offences here. Because of this, our school now has a high level of LGBT+ kids who transfer even from out of the district to come here.

Speaking of changes, my classroom was moved. Last year, the admin added a large number of creative classes into the hall my room used to be in. Before, we had two levels of art, two levels of photography and a creative writing class. Now, along with more levels of art and photo, we have a film class, theatre, music theory, and advanced composition. This comes with new teachers, as well. Normally, that would mean a cut in everyone's salary but our school has gotten so many donations from all over the country that we are actually all getting a raise this year.

Once I get to my room, I open the door and walk into the bare bones of a classroom. I place my bag down on the desk at the back and turn on the lights. My eyes scan the room for a few moments, figuring out ways to make it better.

"Let's get this party started." I say to myself, clapping my hands and walking to the door to get the supplies from my car. In the faculty lot, I notice a car that's parked at the curb with two women sitting in the front seats. I lean down and smile at them, the woman in the passenger seat rolls down the window.

"Do you ladies need anyth- Kali?" I stop in the middle of my sentence when the woman behind the wheel looks up at me. She looks just as shocked and confused as I must look.

"Ms Clarke?" She asks, completely dumbfounded.

"Please, it's Elizabeth." I correct her. She must be about 23 now, she can't be calling me something that puts me higher than her.  The woman in the passenger seat calls for Kali's attention.