Dancing With Angels Chapter 12

***Jason's POV***

I pulled the suit off layer after layer until all that remained was the clothing beneath it, my favorite shirt and the shorts Abigail had given me the night I had arrived. There were huge doors before me, guards posted near the hinge of each, their guns were lowered and their eyes were locked on me. I tried to shake the fear out of my heart and mind while I hopped in place, I inhaled deeply trying to pick up Mark's scent, it was almost gone now. A part of me selfishly wished he were here with me now; I shook my head I couldn't think like that, not now not when it was so close to being over.

Yet I missed him, my heart ached for his touch knowing it would calm me the moment I felt his skin against my own. I missed his voice, and the words he spoke to me so often, so softly, it was so hard to breathe without him near, but I had to be strong. This was for his best interest; he could live and find someone new, someone that wouldn't place him in danger every moment he stood by their side; someone normal and human. I had to do this, I had to face her and die so he could live, at least I could die in peace knowing he was safe.

"The Queen has begun to address the family; you will step out after she finishes her statement to issue your challenge." I don't think my heart could beat any faster, my official birthday was still fifteen minutes away, I wondered if she would talk for that long. As the doors began to open I was amazed by the marble floor and the high walls, we had moved to an underground area I had never known existed. Abigail sat upon a thorne that resembled ice, with a violet hue at its center; there were rubies and sapphires inserted throughout its complex design.

"As you are now a man." Abigail stopped talking as I stared up at her, the suit was gone and I was stripped back down to the boy I was, not the prince I had been dressed as. She stared at me hard for a moment; slowly she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, I could have sworn I saw her lips tremble.

"As you are now a man, have you anything." Once again she stopped, she shook head; she looked to be struggling with something, her face contorted as she finally returned her gaze to me.

"As you are now a man, have you anything to say to us, to me." I had to find my voice, it had abandoned me, the tremor was back in my hands, and I was starting to sweat profusely as I stared up at her.

"I challenge you for your throne and your place among our people." There was murmuring throughout the room, I saw Lauren stand from her place and take a few steps toward me.

"You understand in doing this, that you are challenging me to a duel to the death." A chill climbed my spine as I opened my mouth, no sound came out; I closed my eyes tightly and swallowed hard.

"Yes, I know that by issuing this challenge that you have no choice but to try and kill me." There it was said, she was free to begin now maybe she wouldn't bring anything up, and maybe I could die without their hating me.

"My Queen you can't agree to this, he's but a babe you can't do this, he's Diana's son." Lauren ran and then jumped into the air; she landed before me without a sound and as softly as a flower petal touching down.

"I'm a human, an abomination upon this house; I am not worthy of the Warwick name, nor any titles associated with it." Those words came easier, they were mostly programed into my mind; Abigail's face twisted as she too soared through the air and then to the ground; landing just as gracefully.

"Move aside Lauren, you don't understand what you do, what he is." Lauren knelt down shaking her head, I could see tears falling from her eyes as she once again looked up to Abigail's face.

"Diana wouldn't want this, he's her legacy my Queen, your legacy; he is our future just as are all babes within the arms of their mothers here today." Abigail moved her hand lifting Lauren from the ground; she floated upward back to her seat where she was released.