Dancing With Angels Chapter 2

***Jason's POV***

I had spent a half an hour in the shower in my apartment trying to clear my mind, normally the water flowing over my body did the trick, not today though. As I got out I found myself clearing the mirror and staring at my reflection, I hated what I saw. My skin gave new meaning to the word pale, not once had anyone besides Cassie ever found me attractive, why would they? I was truly a freak of nature and I often wondered if that was what had pushed my mother over the edge the night I was born.

"You're hideous, no wonder my daughter couldn't stand the sight of you, such a foul creature shouldn't be allowed to live." My grandmother's words echoed in my mind, every time I had seen her in my youth she had always made sure to express her hatred, I never told my father. We needed her help and she was wealthy, so I kept my mouth shut and just took her hatred and swallowed it whole.

"No one will ever love you Jason, you'll be alone you're whole life and the world will be the better for it, mark my words." I could feel the tears streaking down my face, though I had never allowed her to see them, not once had I given in and let her know my pain. She was always respectful to my father, even sweet to him at times while she was writing a check or handing him cash.

"My daughter was meant for greatness, but no you couldn't have that could you, had to ruin her and then to top it off you had to kill her." I remember the day my father finally heard her, he had been so shocked but I also remembered that he hadn't corrected her either.

"How dare you say that to him, how long have you been doing this to him, you know what never mind it ends here, you'll never see him again I'll make sure of it!" The look on her face had been cruel even then, a small smile on her lips as she waved a fan of twenties in the air.

"Are you sure about that Drake? Don't you need this to buy that little bastard his dinner? You can't be serious, besides he's going to need thicker skin to survive looking like he does." My father never turned around, never said another word and luckily that was the last time I had ever seen my grandmother. Though she had almost been right about everything, only Cassie and my dad loved me, but I was alone like she had said I would be, among other things.

"Jason? Are you in there?" I nearly jumped out of my skin at the sound of Cassie's voice; I wiped my face off and wrapped a towel around my waist.

"Yeah, I'm coming out now." I opened the door to see Cassie who was smiling until she looked into my eyes.

"What's wrong? What happened?" I walked past her and toward my room, trying to decide what I should tell her.

"Nothing happened; I was just thinking about some stuff, it doesn't really matter." I entered my room closing my door behind me, Cassie and I were close but we weren't that close.

"Eye's don't get that red for no reason, you've been crying and you never cry so something really bad had to have happened." The truth was that I did cry, just not often and never in front of anyone, but Cassie had caught me in a moment of weakness. 

"I had a long day, faced some facts and thought about things I should never think about, it's nothing Cass, drop it." It took a lot of my will power to control my voice and not bite her head off; I knew it wasn't her fault.

"For now, that's fine, I came here because I need to know why you told Mark that I was your girlfriend and finish the conversation we were having at lunch." I closed my eyes and lay my head against the wall thinking about him had started the whole chain of thoughts that had led to my crying.

"Go sit in the living room I'll be out in a minute, I need to find some clean clothes." I heard her walk away and started looking for something clean I settled for a pair of blue shorts and a white T, luckily they didn't have any holes in them yet to bad I couldn't say the same for my socks or shoes that I pulled on. Soon I found myself sitting opposite Cassie, she looked concerned which I could understand completely considering all the facts or lack thereof.